DAY 2 YouTube Tetradrachm cleaning!!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Evan Saltis, Nov 10, 2019.

1. Evan Saltis

Evan Saltis OWNER - EBS Numis LLC Supporter

Heres day two of my little series I made. Looking forward to continute sharing my thoughts and explaining more as I go. Take a look and tell me how you think!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

I would just let it soak for a few days and not necessarily scrub so much. Scrubbing is creating friction which will destroy the patina. Let it soak a few days and see what happens with the corrosion. It may lessen off on its own, and may be easier to remove with little scrubbing after a few days of soaking. Then once you are not making any more progress with either manual removal or soaking, it's time to move on to verdicare soaking for 24 hours and then wiping the coin dry and letting it sit for 3 months of careful observation before declaring the process a success.

My concern is that constant daily scrubbing will remove all patina, not just the corrosion.

octavius, Evan Saltis and YoloBagels like this.
  4. Evan Saltis

Will do.

5. Evan Saltis

Can't find any verdicare anywhere online. Everyone seems to be out of stock.

Deacon Ray likes this.
  6. Sallent

interesting, is Verdicare not made anymore and is there any alternative product? I'm sure someone here shortly will be able to provide a reply.

7. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

8. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

I’m not sure if this product works the same way as Verdi-Care but Coin Wizard Supply recommends it as an alternative. When ordering, you can select the specific metal you would like to treat. I would guess that the type for copper would be the correct choice. You could experiment on a coin that you don’t care about first.

https://www.lighthouse.us/cleaning-...XfZU2_n1IfVB1FwEiBt2I2h_n_cLNLwxoC_JMQAvD_BwE

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
  9. Sallent

Worst case scenario, try a sodium sesquicarbonate solution. I don't know the recipe, though I'm sure plenty of people here know as they swear by it.

Ask for the recipe and give it a try. You've got nothing to lose.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
  10. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted