David's top ten of 2016

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by David@PCC, Dec 14, 2016.

1. David@PCC

David@PCC allcoinage.com

I didn’t think I had a top ‘10’ until I searched the inventory, fortunately I did manage to find 10 from 2016.
    persecution.jpg
    Maximinus II – Persecution issue​

This one eluded me for years with only 3 or 4 showing up in the last 5 years. Despite losing one from Alexandria needed to complete a set from this period, I was pleased to have found this piece, the only one from Nicomedia. Only a handful known, these little coins represented the last vestiges of paganism practiced by the empire, maybe with the exception of festival issues, and before the legalization of Christianity.
    b279.jpg
    Alexius I Comnenus – AR Histamenon Nomisma​

Getting a great deal on this one, most likely because it was broken and no bids placed, I was surprised on how rare it really was. I had no problem paying 50 times less than an unbroken one that sold 15 years earlier. Sear lists it with no price and as extremely rare, I have not had one in that category from his book, although I think a few more have appeared in the market over the last two decades. This issue was only minted for a few months between September 1081 and early 1082 while enroute to fight of the Norman’s which resulted in a fantastic defeat for Alexius. In order to pay soldiers, he ordered the melting down of silverware from churches in order to strike enough coinage. Also it is very large in hand measuring almost 30mm.
    s-l1600.jpg
    Antiochus X Eusebes Philopator – Tetradrachm​

Another piece I have been waiting a long time for are Tetradrachm’s of Antiochus X. Only in the last few years have these been available in the market, where previously they could be seen maybe every couple of years. This one is interesting because the sideburn is a medium length, where the only published ones are either short or long enough to reach his chin.
    g265.jpg
    Antiochus I Sotor​

Probably the best example of this type I have seen, I was happy to acquire it. Having virtually no wear and only an uneven strike on the obverse. Above the elephant is a Seleucid countermark, commonly found on these.
    g267.jpg
    Antiochus VIII Grypus – Tetradrachm​

Given the name Grypus or ‘hook nose’, this one came with a blackened unattractive patina that I managed to mostly clean up except some impossible to remove discoloration on the obverse. The reverse came very well.

b278.jpg
    Anonymous Issue – Scripulum​

I did a write up on this one here https://www.cointalk.com/threads/scripulum.282752/
    An uncommon denomination that is controversial and a nice commemorative piece.
    g270.jpg
    Seleucus II Kallinikos​

This one has a very smooth patina, and if you look at it from a few inches away it looks like a fine finish you would find on a painted surface.
    g272.jpg
    Achaios – Seleucid Usurper​

He ruled only for a few short years gaining power as a general while Antiochus III was battling Ptolemy. Much nicer than typical examples which are also hard to find.
    b280.jpg
    Tiberius II Constantine – Tremissis​

Not the best looking portrait, but I choose it for the top ten over a similar Tremissis because it did photograph well.
    g263.jpg
    Alexander II Zabinas – Drachm​

Lastly this rugged Drachm beat out a Johannes mainly because I see many more of him than these tiny Drachms. I was going to clean it, but after seeing it in person I felt the encrustations highlighted the features.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

A great top 10!

4. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

5. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

I love the coins. I am jealous of your new Byzantine gold piece!

6. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

A great top 10! I really like the Tiberius II and the Antiochus VIII.

7. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Very nice group, I especially like Antiochus X Eusebes.

8. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

That Maximinus II – Persecution issue is really rare and belongs to a small and desirable series. I'm glad you got it to complete your set. Mine is junk box quality: MaximinIIanonO.JPG MaximinIIanonR.JPG

9. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Outstanding David

10. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

That's a terrific top 10!!

I love the variety and the unusual aspects of each one. Besides my understandable 'LOVE' of gold and silver, I really like the two bronze coins of Antiochos I and Seleukos II....and I recently lost out on a 'persecution issue' a few auctions back....Congrats!!!

11. David@PCC

David@PCC allcoinage.com

Thanks everyone!
    I should have been clearer, I lost one of the two needed to complete the set. One from Antioch that I bid 6 times estimate.

12. Magnus Maximus

Magnus Maximus Dulce et Decorum est....

I like the Tiberius II Tremissis.
    ;)

13. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

The Maximinus II is tops in my book.

Draft saved Draft deleted