David's Top Ten of 2015

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by David Atherton, Dec 16, 2015.

1. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

Inspired by the wonderful year end lists of other members, I thought it would be fun to figure out what my top ten are and post them here as well. Several coins are still winging their way to me, but none are in danger of making the list.

Arranged pretty much in order. The top 5 were not difficult to pick, the other 5 were.

RPC2403.jpg
    Vespasian
    AR Tetradrachm
    Alexandria mint, 69 AD
    RPC 2403 (9 spec.)

I've always been a sucker for Vespasian's first issue at Alexandria. These were the first coins struck for him anywhere in the empire in the summer of 69. And just look at that pinched portrait!

V1302a.jpg
    Vespasian
    AR Denarius
    Tarraco mint, 70 AD
    RIC 1302 (R), BMC 351A, RSC 5

A very rare dynastic type from Spain, often misattributed to Rome. Despite being a bit rough, the wonderful Tarraco style portraits shine through.

RPC1801b.jpg
    Vespasian
    AR Tetradrachm
    Antioch mint (for Cyprus), 75-76 AD
    RPC 1801 (16 spec.)

The gloriously gluttonous portrait allows this one to make the list. I love it!

RPC1978.jpg
    Domitian
    AR Tetradrachm
    Antioch mint, 88-89 AD
    RPC 1978 (7 spec.)

I acquired some really great Domitian tets during the course of the year, any one of them could've made the cut. This one with its beautiful chocolate patina will have to represent all of the other also-rans.

RPC1937asm.jpg
    Vespasian
    AR Tetradrachm
    Antioch mint, 69-70 AD
    RPC 1937 (4 spec.)

I love this portrait style. Probably engraved and/or struck in Alexandria for circulation in Syria. Better in hand (aren't they all!).

RPC1944.jpg Vespasian
    AR Tetradrachm
    Antioch mint, 69-70 AD
    RPC 1944 (4 spec.)

The ornate obverse makes this coin for me. Not to mention the wonderful portrait of Titus on the reverse. A doozy of a double feature.

D186.jpg
    Domitian
    AR Denarius
    Rome mint, 84 AD (second issue)
    RIC 186 (R2), BMC 48 , RSC 352

With all the tets making the list, one would think I forgot about the denarii, I have not. An exquisite denarius struck at a time when talented craftsman were producing Domitian's silver issues. Say what you will about Domitian as a ruler, he did care about his coinage.

D820.JPG Domitian
    AR Denarius
    Rome mint, 96 AD
    RIC 820 (R2), BMC - , RSC

There are not too many coins you can date to just a few days, this is one of them. Struck in the last days of Domitian's reign. Needless to say it is super rare. If it had been properly attributed I would've paid several times more for it.

V853b.JPG
    Vespasian
    AR Denarius
    Rome mint, 76 AD
    RIC 853 (R2), BMC p. 34 note, RSC 374

So rare I never thought I would see one of these in trade anytime soon. Probably one of the finest portraits of Vespasian I have on a denarius. A coin to treasure.

T515c.jpg
    Titus
    AR Cistophorus (3 denarii)
    Rome mint (for Asia), 80-81 AD
    RIC 515 (R), BMC spec. acquired 1948, RSC - , RPC 860 (3 spec.)

I already mooned over this one enough last week. Not just a coin of the year, but one I would consider as coin of the decade.

2015 was good to me and it will be hard to beat in 2016. I didn't realise until I complied this list just how many rare holes were filled in the collection. The runner-ups on their own would make any other year end list.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2015
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. David Atherton

Oh why not. Here is a runner-up, 10b.

V958.jpg
    Domitian as Caesar
    AR Denarius
    Rome Mint, 77-78 AD
    RIC V958 (R3), BMC -, RSC -

Very, very rare with head left. Second known specimen. No hesitation when I clicked the buy tab on this one.

4. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

Yup that's an awesome top 10. It amazes me how some collectors are sooo focused. This is truly an excellent assortment of Vespasian coins. Love them!

swamp yankee and Mikey Zee like this.
  5. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

Gorgeous coins David! I love that Obverse on #5

paschka and David Atherton like this.
  6. TIF

TIF Always learning.

A good year! My favorites are 10, 2, and 1 :)

paschka and David Atherton like this.
  7. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

Great focus. I like the double portrait and obverse eagle on #5. Is the eagle a prediction of power? Was this coin first issued after his troops declared him Emperor and before the defeat of Vitellius and the Senate agreeing with the troop decision?

David Atherton likes this.
  8. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

What a marvellous selection! 1, 2, 5 and 8 for me, please.

9. David Atherton

According to K. Butcher in Coinage in Roman Syria the eagle had both solar and divine attributes. Zeus and Apollo were 'the most celebrated deities of Antioch' and the eagle is often depicted with a thunderbolt (Zeus) and laurel wreath (Apollo).

Yes, the coin could have been struck before Vespasian defeated Vitellius. It dates to regnal year 2, so between October 69 - October 70. Afterward, he dated his elevation to the purple from the time the legions declared him emperor in Alexandria on 1 July 69.

Mikey Zee likes this.
  10. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Some nice coins David. Hope 2016 is as good for you.

11. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Sweet coins, David. Love the toning on #10. The portrait on #8 looks like something Vitellius is known for being, glutton.

A Domitian Tet. would be a dream coin for me, but so would Nerva and a few others.

#3 would be great to own since I tend to like coins made before X is dead.

Great portrait on #2 and you know how much I liked #1

2015 seemed great for you coin wise, good luck in 2016!

12. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

I LOVE them all and can't find a reason to switch your numbered priority....but maybe I could tomorrow;):)

Just WONDERFUL!!!!:woot::woot:

David Atherton and paschka like this.
  13. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

The range of styles in the Vespasian portraits is astonishing. Truly a wonderful top-ten all around.

14. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

vespasianpalloza!

i really love the stye of the spanish coin...very different.

a super group V70, dang.

15. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Even the Romans looked forward to Star Wars:cool:
    [​IMG]

16. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Yeah, lol. My wife asked me if I wanted to go see it anytime soon and I said, "No way - let's wait till at least January if not summer." Nothing irks me more than milling about like lemmings with the great unwashed.

Jwt708, stevex6 and swamp yankee like this.
  17. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

I'm actually not into SW whatsoever so I don't care to see it anytime soon but the way the eagles wing was pointing and all the doofs standing in line for almost 2 weeks now, dressed up & some on news getting rowdy here in l.a. waiting for it to start.

swamp yankee and Sallent like this.
  18. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Let me know when it comes out to On-Demand. I'd rather wait the three months and watch it from the comfort of my massage chair and my HD tv in my man cave. Beats camping for 2 weeks in a line doing nothing productive with one's life.

swamp yankee likes this.
  19. swamp yankee

swamp yankee Well-Known Member

Never liked the originals enough to PAY to see 'em and am sure these are even LESS compelling....

20. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

David, that is a great top ten. My favourite is the bare headed Vespasian.

21. David Atherton

That was my favourite too, until the Titus came along. In most other years any one of my top 5 would've made number one.

Mikey Zee likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted