David's Top Ten Coins of 2016

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by David Atherton, Dec 27, 2016.

1. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

2016 saw a lot of major developments for my collection. An improved storage method (paper envelopes), upgraded optics, and the addition of some stellar coins, one of which is my favourite. So, without further ado, here is my list.

D99a.jpg Domitian
    AR Denarius, 3.40g
    Rome mint, 82 AD
    RIC 99 (R), BMC 25, RSC 592a
    Obv: IMP CAES DOMITIANVS AVG P M; Head of Domitian, laureate, bearded, r.
    Rev: TR POT COS VIII P P; Minerva stg. l., with Victory and sceptre; at feet, shield

Struck with new dies in superb veristic style. A really beautiful denarius showcasing the fine technical and artistic craftsmanship of the Rome mint. It made the list based purely on the condition and style.

RPC2416.jpg

Vespasian
    AR Tetradrachm, 12.72g
    Alexandria mint, 69-70 AD
    RPC 2416 (7 spec.)
    Obv: AYTOK KAIΣ ΣEBA OYEΣΠAΣIANOY; Head of Vespasian, laureate, r., date LB before neck
    Rev: Τ ΦΛΑΥΙ ΟΥΕΣΠΑΣΙΑΝΟΣ ΚΑΙΣ; laureate head of Titus, r.

Darkly toned with very fine Alexandrian style portraits. Not particularly rare, but a well executed piece nonetheless. I love that it's a double portrait!

D392A.jpg

Domitian

AR Denarius, 2.90g
    Rome mint, 85 AD
    RIC 392A (R3), BMC - , RSC -
    Obv: IMP CAES DOMIT AVG GERM P M TR P V; Head of Domitian, laureate, bearded, r.
    Rev: IMP XI COS XI CENS P P P; Minerva stg. l., with thunderbolt and spear; shield at her side (M3)
    Acquired from Incitatus Coins, May 2016.

A previously unknown Minerva type 3 from Domitian's rare sixth issue of denarii for 85. Until this coin recently surfaced only three of the four standard Minerva types were known for this issue, now all four are accounted for. Ted Buttrey was notified of this coin's existence and he has assigned it as RIC 392A in the Flavian RIC Addenda. It's not often one discovers a whole new type for an issue!

V1089sm.jpg

Domitian as Caesar

AR Quinarius, 1.46g
    Rome Mint, 79 AD
    RIC V1089 (R3), BMC - , RSC -
    Obv: CAESAR AVG F DOMITIANVS COS VI; Head of Domitian, laureate, bearded, r.
    Rev: VICTORIA AVGVST; Victory std. l., with wreath and palm

An extremely rare quinarius struck for Domitian Caesar in 79. RIC records only one example in Paris and lists the rarity as 'unique', this specimen then is the second known example.

V1420.jpg
    Vespasian

AR Denarius, 3.40g
    Ephesus mint, 70 AD
    RIC 1420 (R3), BMC -, RSC -, RPC -
    Obv: IMP CAESAR VESPAS AVG COS II TR P P P; Head of Vespasian, laureate, r.
    Rev: LIBERI IMP AVG VESPAS; Titus and Domitian, togate, veiled, standing l., each holding patera in r. hand, l. hands at sides; in exergue, BY

An extremely rare Ephesus Group 4 denarius. When the new edition of RIC II was published in 2007 only one specimen was known of this dynastic type with mint mark in exergue. Since its publication, several other examples have come to light in addition to mine, bringing the total number of specimens to around a dozen. RIC makes a distinction between two different mint mark placings for this type: in exergue, as seen here, and between T & D. This coin made the list because of both its rarity and very fine style.

V1431a.jpg
    Vespasian (Countermarked)

AR Denarius, 3.06g
    Ephesus Mint, 71 AD; Countermarked under Vespasian at Ephesus, circa 74-79 AD
    RIC 1431 (C), BMC 457, RSC 276, RPC 833 (14 spec.); c/m: GIC 839
    Obv: IMP CAESAR VESPAS AVG COS III TR P P P; Head of Vespasian, laureate, r.; c/m: IMP·VES (ligate)
    Rev: PACI AVGVSTAE; Victory, draped, advancing r., holding wreath extended in r. hand and palm over l. shoulder. EPHE lower r.

Here is an exceptionally rare appearance of a Vespasian countermark on a denarius struck for Vespasian. I know of less than half a dozen other Vespasianic denarii similarly stamped. This coin was the most interesting to research of the year!

T95a.jpg
    Titus
    AR Quinarius, 1.58g
    Rome mint, 79-80 AD
    RIC 95 (R2), BMC 111, RSC 370b
    Obv: IMP TITVS CAES VESPASIAN AVG P M; Head of Titus, laureate, bearded, l.
    Rev: VICTORIA AVGVST; Victory std. l., with wreath and palm
    Ex Naville 27, 27 November 2016, lot 494. Ex E.E. Clain-Stefanelli Collection.

An exceedingly rare quinarius of Titus with left facing portrait. This is only the second specimen I've seen in trade. A very recent acquisition, this is the coin that delayed my list for so long.

V793.jpg
    Vespasian
    AR Quinarius, 1.41g
    Rome mint, 75(?) AD
    RIC 793 (R), BMC 288 var., 614a var.
    Obv: IMP CAESAR VESPASIANVS AVG; Head of Vespasian, laureate, r.
    Rev: VICTORIA AVGVST; Victory adv. r., with wreath and palm

Perhaps the finest quinarius I own. A superb little gem that proved to be a great guinea pig for a vintage magnifying glass that arrived around the same time.

V1345.jpg
    Vespasian
    AR Denarius, 3.24g
    Uncertain Western Mint, 69-70 AD
    RIC 1345 (R2), BMC - , RSC -
    Obv: IMP CAESAR VESPASIANVS AVGVSTV; Head of Vespasian, laureate, r.
    Rev: LIBERTAS PVBLICA; Libertas stg. l., with pileus and rod

An early and rare denarius from an unknown Spanish mint. Struck soon after the civil War ended. The spectacular portrait ranks it so highly on the list. It contrasts nicely with the next entry.

V688sm.jpg
    Vespasian
    AR Denarius, 2.84g
    Rome mint, 74 AD
    RIC 688 (R), BMC 147, RSC 569
    Obv: IMP CAESAR in exergue; Vespasian stg. r., with branch and sceptre, in quadriga r.
    Rev: VESP AVG across field; Victory on prow r., with wreath and palm
    Ex Nomos Obolos 4, 21 February 2016, lot 575. Ex GH Collection. Ex Superior Galleries, The Moreira sale, Part II, 10-11 December 1988, lot 2374.

Extremely rare and very different from the others on this list. This denarius probably represents the apex of the Rome mint under Vespasian copying antiquarian types from the past. It reproduces not only the reverse design from a denarius of Octavian, but also the obverse. The only change is with the reverse legend VESP AVG to indicate Vespasian's authority. Arriving very early in the year, it is beyond a doubt my favourite coin in my collection.

2016 will be a very difficult year to beat.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Looks that way! Good luck in 2017 :D

Over the course of the year your posts have made it clear that I need some Ephesus Flavians! I love the style of that mint's coins.

4. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

I really like your top ten for 2016. Specially, the focus on Vespasianus, Domitianus, and Titus. 1st Century coinage is also my focus area.
    Your certainly seem to have an eye for spotting rare varieties :).

What is the most probable western mint for your #2? Tarraco would be my guess.

David Atherton likes this.
  5. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

I think this is a great top 10, buy am under no illusion that a generalist like me can quite appreciate how special some of these coins are. That said, I can't imagine anyone can call themselves a genuine collector of ancients if they fail to think #10 is simply an outstanding specimen of a coin. It's flat out beautiful! I'm also a big fan of #2 and #5.

6. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Very cool David!! Congrats on a stellar year

I'd place 2, and 5 tied for first and all the others tied for second. Becoming aware of each coins scarcity and other aspects of uniqueness is always half the fun.... and never ceases to surprise me a bit.

7. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Nice => that's a very sweet Top-10, David (congrats)

Hmmm, I think I like #6 best ... it looks kinda like Titus & Domitian are Vespasian's back-up vocalists (the very first Boy-band?)

8. David Atherton

Tarraco would be my guess too. The portrait style is somewhat similar to gold and bronze coins struck at Tarraco, but the lack of any known Spanish provenance for this type is puzzling.

9. David Atherton

IMHO, some of the finest Flavian portraits originate from Ephesus. You would do well to add one or two examples to your stunning collection.

It was difficult keeping some of the other Ephesian denarii I acquired during 2016 off the list!

TIF likes this.
  10. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Very nice Top Ten! With the strength of some of those faces, they look to be the first Big Ten Team. I like #3 because of the Victory !

11. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Great coins, I especially like 10, 9, & 2 best.

12. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Wow David, you have done an amazing job adding these fantastic coins to your collection. They are all great but my favourite is in your #1 position. I really like these "throwback" coins. I find they give an interesting insight into the political mindset of the emperor.

13. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Great set!

14. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Awesome top 10 David! #10 is just fantastic and I really like the countermarked Vespsian. Great year for you, hopefully 2017 is as well.

15. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Excellent 10. Yeah, going to be hard to best that next year, a lot of neat finds.

16. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

All top coins David, but the detail on number 10 is unbelievable. Congrats on a great collection.

17. mcwyler

mcwyler Member

Fabulous flavians! Congratulations.

18. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I know who to talk to if I ever have questions about the Flavians. Outstanding coins David.

19. AncientJoe

AncientJoe Well-Known Member

Congratulations on a great year! I love the portrait on #2!

20. David Atherton

Personally, the countermarked denarius was the most enjoyable coin of the year to research. It may not be the prettiest one of the group, but I learned a lot of interesting numismatic history I was previously unaware of!

markwyler, Ajax and Alegandron like this.
  21. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Fantastic !
    Looks like fireworks : you don't know where to look first and how to see everything at the same time !

Q

markwyler and David Atherton like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted