David Hall's Numismatic Investment Group graded and sealed flip.

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by jtlee321, Mar 25, 2017.

1. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

So I found out about these a couple of months ago. I thought they were pretty neat and just had to have one to put in my collection. I happened to come across one on eBay and so I scooped it up.

It arrived in the mail today. I have to say, it's a pretty neat little flip. They pre-date PCGS is about all I know of them. I thought I would share it on here with you fellow coin geeks. If anyone has more information on these David Hall flips, I'd sure love to hear about it.

@Paddy54 from what I can tell it is a 1938-D Buffalo WRPM-012.

1938-D-Buffalo-Nickel-Obverse.jpg 1938-D-Buffalo-Nickel-Reverse.jpg David-Hall-Flip-Info-Side.jpg David-Hall's-NIG-Side.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

David Hall was a founder for PCGS. I am guess these flips are pre-PCGS.

4. jtlee321

Yes, he was one of the founders and this was a precursor to PCGS. It's one of the reason's I jumped on it. It will go nicely with my ANACS Photo Cert.

Dave Waterstraat likes this.
  5. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

While they might be a neat collectible, I think it's a pretty safe bet that David Hall wishes he'd never come up with that particular idea. For by the early 1990's there was a huge lawsuit against PCGS the outcome of which forbade them from ever touting coins as investments again.

6. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Is the nickel also sealed in an airtite?
    Thats pretty cool.

7. jtlee321

Yes, well it's smaller and thinner than an airtite. It's a thin plastic shell that protects the coin from the PVC flip. I have an old ANACS photo cert with a Mercury Dime. The Dime is in an shell that is very similar. At least they knew not to keep them in the PVC flips unprotected.

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  8. redcent230

redcent230 Well-Known Member

But other than that it is a very nice looking nickel

RonSanderson likes this.
  9. ddddd

ddddd Member

Some more info from David Hall himself (circa 2003 via the PCGS forum):

"What you have is the beginning of the PCGS idea. In 1982, DHNIG started making a market in a wide range of coins and guaranteeing to buy back any coin we sold at a price comensurate with the grade. We guarantee to always have a buy price for every coin we sold. It was quite a revolutionary idea for the time (one major dealer who is still active told me at the time that this was impossible and we would go bankrupt...what happened was that he went bankrupt!) We sealed the coins to be sure they wouldn't be switched. This idea was expanded to include sonically sealed holders and coins from other dealers inventory not just DHNIG, i.e. this idea was expanded into PCGS. There are several looks to these sealed holders. The first ones were circa 1982, the last ones were probably from 1987. You have one of the later models. We did well over $50,000,000 worth of coins this way. I believe the majority of them were turned into PCGS for grading by the DHNIG customers shortly after PCGS was launched. Most of the coins we sold as MS65 will grade MS65 or 66 at PCGS today. A few grade lower, a few grade higher."

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/196196/conder101-david-hall-slab

10. jtlee321

Thank you for the great information. This is a fun little widget to add.

11. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

The holder the nickel is in is called a cointain.

Paddy54 likes this.
  12. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Kointains were what most back in the day used to store their coins. I still use them on my raw nickels

Draft saved Draft deleted