Dates on Thai coins

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Hiddendragon, Jan 24, 2022.

1. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

I did my best to date these but the numbers on here just don't look like the examples given in Krause. Little help? thailand1.jpg thailand2.jpg thailand3.jpg thailand6.jpg

capthank likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

4. Jeepfreak81

Jeepfreak81 Well-Known Member

So the 3rd one down, which I think is a 1/2 satang..I'm getting 2480 (1937). The top two have me stumped on that final character, I think they are 246?, and the bottom one I believe is 2484 (1941).

I'm in no way an expert.....I don't even play one on TV so take that all with a grain of salt.

Hiddendragon likes this.
  5. Hiddendragon

Thanks for the help. That site posted above was helpful. I agree with Jeepfreak on the last two. I think the others are 2464 (1921).

Jeepfreak81 likes this.
  6. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

If you have a Krause World Coin catalog, they have number conversion and date conversion charts in the introduction section. Sometimes you can pick up an older 18th, 19th or 20th century copy cheap.

I've found it easier to page through a country section to match the coin to a pic than to mess around with an internet search if you don't have much info (usually have click on too many possibilities before you find what you want)

The prices might not be accurate, but they are great for ID and relative rarity. Plus if you have the KM# it makes internet searches easier if you want more info

7. Hiddendragon

I was using the Krause but the problem is the numbers on the coins just don't look like the ones in the book.

8. Jeepfreak81

Ya I was looking at it trying to figure it out and for sure it wasn't obvious. I was thinking 2464 as well but the two characters for 4 looked different to me. I imagine they have different font styles same as English so that comes in to play.

9. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

My bad. Helps if I read the whole post. Hadn't had any coffer yet.

Hiddendragon likes this.
  10. Jeepfreak81

No coffee yet? I'm surprised you can navigate the forum at all :woot:

11. Mr. Flute

Mr. Flute Well-Known Member

I believe @medoraman is one of our Thai script experts.

I have also been training my eye for Thai coinage script. I've got a good handle on Arabic, Japanese, Korean and Chinese so far, but I guess I haven't spent enough time with lots of Thai coinage.

Hiddendragon likes this.
  12. Hiddendragon

I used to just pass by anything that used non-Western script because it was too hard but I found that taking the time to figure it out is worth it. I like some of the Asian and Middle Eastern coins and there are a lot of bargains out there if you know what to look for.

Mr. Flute likes this.
  13. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Hiddendragon and Jeepfreak81 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted