Dateless Silver Dollar

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by vmost, Jan 20, 2005.

1. vmost

vmost New Member

I came across some silver dollars that have no year stamped on them.
    One side has 21 stars around the circumfrence. The liberty head is a bit smaller than the other silver dollars I have.

I also came across some 1896 silver trade dollars???

As well as some 1857 seated liberty dollars with no isigmia and some 1847 seated liberty dollars with the insigmia "liberty".

Does anybody have any information on the aproximate value of these coins? I'm not a coin collector but I believe these coins to be in good to excellent shape (they don't look worn out!).

Thanks!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. satootoko

satootoko Retired

Welcome aboard vmost.

I'm not very knowlegable about US coins, but none of my references say anythng about an undated series. The "liberty head" dollars, more commonly referred to as "Morgan" dollars are all illustrated in my books with 13 stars, not 21. A picture of the ones you are describing would be very helpful.
    That's even more interesting. The last U.S. trade dollars were dated 1885! :confused:

(Japan stopped minting Trade Dollars even earlier - 1877 - but Great Britain continued well into the 1930s. Are yours British, perhaps?)
    If by "insignia" you mean the word on the shield at Liberty's side, the absence from your '57s would indicate wear. Without at least three letters of the word being visible, the coins would grade at less than VG-8. :)
    Without more specific identification and grading, the range is anywhere from well under $100 to some tens of thousands, or conceivably much more.

4. susanlynn9

susanlynn9 New Member

Welcome to the forum, Vmost! :)

Unfortunately, the coins that you are describing are probably rounds and not coins. If made of silver, they should weigh around 26.73 grams. Many of these rounds are not made of silver and will weigh considerably less. The rounds you are describing are very similar to the counterfeit dollars being offered on eBay. Usually, either the year is incorrect for the series, there is no date, or the design is different from the actual coin series it was copied from. Wish I had something more hopeful for you. :( Please post pictures if you can so that we can be sure.

5. pcrdnadave

pcrdnadave Senior Member

Here's a "dateless silver dollar" that is a silver round. May be what you have.

[​IMG]

another

[​IMG]

6. vmost

vmost New Member

I will take some picturres and submit them for review. I'm not a coin collector but they certainly look real to me and everyone I have shown them to...As far as the insigmias the 1857 Sitting Liberty does not have the banner across the shield with the word "Liberty". The 1847 coins I have do have the banner with the word "Liberty"....You can clearly see all of the letters....The trade dollars are dated 1897?? I didn't spend much $ on these so if they are counterfiet I have some nice conversation pieces!

7. vmost

vmost New Member

The one on the bottom is exactly what I have! What is a "round"??? It looks like a regular dollar on the otherside.

8. pcrdnadave

pcrdnadave Senior Member

A silver round is one Troy ounce (about 32 grams) of .999 pure silver. They should usually sell for the spot price of silver plus a small (hopefully) premium.

Go ahead with the pics though.

9. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

I have seen a lot of forgeries of the American trade $1's.You can get them in some of the markets in the Far East.You can easily tell that they are duds.
    Firstly,the weight is a real giveaway,& secondly,the pieces always have a pitted appearance,which indicates that they have been cast.I haven't seen any forgeries of the common dates of the British Trade $1,but forgeries are known of rare dates such
    as the 1935 (the last date).

10. vmost

vmost New Member

I have verified that they are "fakes". I did get them while on vacation in the philippines..I bought 26 of these coins for $17.85 US so I thought it was worth taking the chance...I purchased them from a sidewalk vendor that was selling a bunch of junk.

11. JBK

JBK Coin Collector

You can sell them for a few dollars a piece on ebay (as fakes/fantasies), so you might make a profit.

12. ndgoflo

ndgoflo Senior Member

Just make sure that you state in the Titl and Description that they are copies per the new ebay policy

13. Jimmy Brown

Jimmy Brown New Member

I have one with 16 stars no date but the letters HM under the chin it weighs 31.1 grams. The heads and tales sides are not facing opposite ways (if u flip the coin on heads side vertically up n down the tails side is upside down if u flip it horizontally side to side they are facing the same way) any info would b greatly appreciated

14. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Hi Jimmy. Most times these old threads don’t get much attention paid to them. Without a photo I can only offer this..... Without a date and having the medal orientation, it sounds like you either have a bullion round (silver value) or a medallion. If it is a bullion round it would be worth its value in silver. If it is a decorative piece, you would have to determine if there is any precious metal content before you could assign a value. Good luck.

rosethe, longshot and Oldhoopster like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted