Date on a SLQ

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by cpb614, Sep 11, 2013.

1. cpb614

cpb614 Member

I have a Standing Liberty Quarter with a date that has been worn off. I can't tell what date it is.

Is there a way to find out the date?

Any help would be appreciated...

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. easj3699

easj3699 Well-Known Member

Easiest thing to figure out is if it is a type one or two. Are there stars below the eagle on the reverse?

4. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Since the date is worn off you can probably eliminate 1925 through 1930.
    The Mint recessed the date during those years.

And to the best of my knowledge there is no such thing as the silver equivalent of Nik-a-date.

5. cpb614

cpb614 Member

There are stars under the Eagle on the reverse...

6. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Retain Carnac the Magnificent. I hear tell that he's real good at determining the dates of long lost worn dates. Or maybe (perhaps?) your local constabulary, which is so good at raising the serial numbers filed off of weapons used in a crime.........

7. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I've Googled around quite a bit for this, and it looks like there's no reliable way to raise dates on silver. The metallurgical processes that make it work for copper-nickel and steel don't work for silver. (I'm not enough of a metallurgist to explain why.)

I did find a few posts claiming that there used to be such a product, but that it was discontinued, perhaps because it contained cyanide. I'm not sure I believe that; if the date could be raised with cyanide, it could surely be raised with other corrosive/complexing agents. Silver isn't that chemically standoffish.

Draft saved Draft deleted