Featured Data - 1961 Proof Doubled Die Rev Half Dollar

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Collect89, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

Not for nothing but I just learned a ton right here in this thread.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Wow, this old thread has been viewed almost 9,000 times. :eek:
    There are a bunch of good threads in the archives here at CoinTalk. I think the trick is learning how to search the Web & find them. It is obviously important to put good key-words in the title of your thread.

BTW, I am bidding on a 1961 DDR half dollar right now. Wish me luck.

4. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

I'm curious if anyone at CT has handled a 1961 DDR proof half recently? One dealer/friend of mine recently got two (and still has one for sale if anyone is interested).

5. treylxapi47

treylxapi47 Well-Known Member Dealer

I may have snagged one the other day, waiting on its arrival to find out. If so I hopefully hit a homerun, if not, I still got a nice doubled variety for a good price. Im super anxious to receive this coin and see what the verdict is.

6. mbogoman

mbogoman Active Member

First, I apologize for resurrecting an old thread on my first post. I just stumbled on to this thread this morning while searching for info on this very cool variety. I can confirm they are still out there. I picked this one up last year on Ebay in a group of three raw sets. The seller's pics weren't great, but good enough to see that the letters on the reverse in one of the sets were quite fat. When the sets arrived, I was quite stoked. When PCGS posted the grade (PR67) a short while later, I was extremely stoked!!!

Attached Files:

Paul M., PlanoSteve and kSigSteve like this.
  7. kSigSteve

kSigSteve Active Member

Wow! What a cherrypick.

Thanks for resurrecting the thread as I am sure we have a few that will want eyes on this.

They are still out there folks.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  8. juris klavins

juris klavins Well-Known Member

its-alive-this-thread-is-alive.jpg

Paul M. likes this.
  9. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Simply wonderful. Jumps right out at you. By far the cleanest dd I've seen. Thats GOT to go in some Franklin reference book somewhere

10. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Still adore you green

11. mbogoman

mbogoman Active Member

I forgot to say thanks to the OP for a great and informative post!

Also, the most recent Heritage sale of a PR67 example was last August for $5875. Down a bit from the highs, but still a chunk of cash...

Paul M. and Collect89 like this.
  12. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

It's fun to see the old thread(s) resurrected. It brings back good memories of the good times at CT. Our members are probably the most important resource we have at CT today.

Wow. I've not been tracking sales activities very closely. However, I have seen three pieces in PR66 holders bought & sold at Eye Appealing Coins in recent years. I've sold two which I kind of regret selling. I still have three in my collection.

Edit to add: I see that Peter just made this a Featured Thread at CT. Yowsa Yowsa Yowsa. This 1961 DDR thread is from the days when CT had an award system for Thread Of The Week (TOTW). The latest CT software is far superior but it doesn't support the original weekly award system. Of course, today we have the Featured Thread section and enhanced search capabilities.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
    Paul M. likes this.
  13. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

This is a variety that I have had a strong feeling I would find for a while. I know there’s a cherrypick out there with my name on it!

14. Amanda2986

Amanda2986 New Member

Hello. I have this coin listed above. This year and am completely new to coin collecting. I own the entire collection of Franklin half dollars from 1948 to 1963-D. I’m reading about the 1961 with the double die proof from what I’m guessing. The coin does say “E Pluribus Unum “ but in the book I own, it is saying this coin is worth $2,900.00. How can I verify that I have this one posted about above? Thanks. Amanda

15. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

Look at the first post in this thread. If it looks like that your a winner!
    Most likely you have the common one that was meant to be made.

16. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

Post a picture of the reverse!

17. Kevin Eikenberry

Kevin Eikenberry New Member

Fun and informative thread.

I cherry picked one of the 1961 ddr proof half dollars in 2011. It was in an OGP set. I bought the set because the half has two sided frost and may warrant a Cameo designation.

When I looked closer it turned out to be a ddr.

18. Kevin Eikenberry

The 1961 proof DDR half I mentioned in the above reply grade this month. PCGS graded it PF67.

A fantastic result for me.

19. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

Would like to see that for sure. Can you upload some photos?

20. Kevin Eikenberry

A Trueview photo of my 1961 DDR half dollar can be seen on Coin Facts. The Cert # is 42015531.

expat likes this.
  21. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

Lovely looking coin

Draft saved Draft deleted