Data 1916-D Test your authentication powers

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Collect89, Apr 9, 2010.

1. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

maybe those serifs aren't as pointy as I think, Silent. It's certainly not obvious. Geez, these are hard to get right!

silentnviolent likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. silentnviolent

silentnviolent accumulator--selling--make an offer I can't refuse

I did not know that. Very interesting that they share the same MM punch.

4. AWORDCREATED

AWORDCREATED Hardly Noticeable

And that only one punch (and only one) did all those. Is that verifiable?

5. mikenoodle

It's verifiable and it's fact

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

6. AWORDCREATED

AWORDCREATED Hardly Noticeable

Well then I am itchin' for the verify part.

7. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Silent, look at the metal area around your mm. It has the appearance of a MM transfer. I will be interested in the result. The triangular center is messed also. IMO.

8. silentnviolent

silentnviolent accumulator--selling--make an offer I can't refuse

I have no idea, really. Could be the lighting, could be you are right on that. I still think that the center, lower serif, and upper right curve of the D are dings which displaced the metal much like the ding smack in the center of the diagonal band. But, I'm not trusting enough in any courier service to send it off. Nor do I have any idea what a coin of this caliber would cost in fees for authentication and grading. Any ideas on what that would cost me would be appreciated (by PM, so as not to hijack the thread).

I was originally just curious about that raised mark in the OP image of die #4 and whether or not that mark is a diagnostic of that die.

9. mikenoodle

PCGS Guide To Grading and Counterfeit Detection P 321. speaking about the mint mark diagnostics for a genuine 1916-D -" "Does all of this sound familiar? It should, for the punch used here was the same one the Mint used for the 1914-D cent."

I believe that Bowers writes of it as well, but I couldn't place the article quite as easily as this one.

Draft saved Draft deleted