Darn! I broke the plastic on a coin and...

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Murillo, Apr 30, 2020.

1. Murillo

Murillo Well-Known Member

Hello everyone, I posted awhile back..Should I or Shouldn't I. I had some coins that I was curious about. I thought the coins looked so scratched up and then thought it could have been the plastic case that was scratched, and hoped the coins were in good shape. I decided to break them open and UGH! It was the coins that were scratched oh well still keepers have no plans other than to give them to my grandchildren.

Your thoughts on this coin would be appreciated. Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

Looks like a nice coin, but no cartwheel, so I think it has been dipped. :(

4. LakeEffect

LakeEffect Average Circulated Supporter

Stick them in some 2x2's flips and they'll be no worse for the wear.

5. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

Most of the time if it is in an NGC or PCGS holder, leave it there. Even if the grade is wrong, the holder keeps non-collectors from dipping, polishing or scratching the coins from mishandling.

6. goldrealmoney79

goldrealmoney79 Active Member

Imo they look dipped but i dont see horrendous cleaning. Theyll straight grade, but they are common dates so unlikely to be worth your while. I would keep them in a 2x2 for the future.

7. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

My coins aren't in any danger of being dipped or polished, and no non-collectors handle them outside my presence, but the physical protection provided by the holder is still a primary reason I leave almost all my coins in their plastic. Any coin I buy raw of any value goes into an Air-tite for a similar reason, unless and until I send it off for encapsulation.

8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

One of those cases that prove you should leave it be.

9. Murillo

Murillo Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone, for your opinions.

Draft saved Draft deleted