Danscos....

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by zach24, Sep 17, 2011.

1. zach24

zach24 DNSO 7070 71 pct complete

So I've never owned a Dansco album until now, it is enroute to my house, and I'm curious what I can expect in 5 or 10 years. Do coins tone in NEW Danscos? I've heard that they do, and I've also heard that they are protected to prevent toning. It's fine with me either way, but I'm really curious as to what I should expect....

Any help is appreciated, Thanks![​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

What type of coins are going into the album?

4. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

All my sets are in Dansco albums and I've never had them tone. It's usually where the albums are stored that causes toning, unless they're Harris folders which are laden with Sulfur.
    Guy

5. zach24

Ah I should have mentioned that... It is a 7070 Type Set, so all coins I guess.

6. zach24

Thank you, may I ask, how are the conditions where you live?

7. phdunay

phdunay Member

I have danscos, my CuNi coins and also silver have started light yellow and blue toning on some coins, they all were new. It generally tones uncirc. onces for me so far. My cents havent toned yet. I think the slipcases resist toning.

8. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

Mostly dry. Four months of humidity, but I keep the inside temp about 70.

But, as well as moisture levels, it matters even more where the coins are physically stored. Certain household materials can and will effect coins over time.
    Guy

9. zach24

I see, I live in Florida, it is hot and humid all of the time. It will be interesting seeing how the set turns out... We could have an "experiment" lol.

10. davdo

davdo Senior Member

I have had some coins tone in my Danscos.

11. zach24

Any specifics? Silver, Copper? Rainbow, Black?

12. illini420

illini420 1909 Collector

I've had many Danscos, new and old, w/ and w/o the slipcases. They all have the potential to tone your coins. If you're putting high grade coins in the albums, especially proofs, expect them to tone. Sometime the toning can be attractive, but sometimes it's really ugly. The anti-corrosion slipcase does absolutely nothing to stop toning in my experience. Sure storage of the albums may speed up or slow down the toning, but the album itself is absolute a catalyst.

Just about every silver proof coin I've put into a Dansco has developed yellow/golden toning after a couple of years, sometimes it looks ok, but sometimes it develops unevenly and is just ugly, basically ruining a coin.

A very nice Steel Cent that I cracked out of a PCGS MS66 holder to put in a Dansco has turned into a really ugly coin after about 3-4 years. The original bright luster is pretty much gone and a haziness has developed over the entire coin and it looks like an MS62 coin now.

Several high grade Lincoln Cents I put in Danscos (MS65RD/MS66RD coins) have toned to the point where they would no longer be considered full red examples and would likely be RB coins. This can really hurt the value of some of the coins as you may know. However, in many cases the toning is pretty attractive and I wasn't playing around with key dates so the total value of the coin may actually increase as a nice toned RB is sometimes worth more than a plain boring RD.

Accordingly, after my experiences, I no longer put high grade stuff or proofs in Danscos. Just not worth the risk of losing value on the coins and not worth the risk of the coins turning ugly. Moreover, with higher grade coins and proofs, there is the added risk of the plastic slides damaging the coins if you're not really careful.

I still have Danscos w/ circulated silver coins (VF and below) and circulated Lincolns and have noticed no significant changes in those coins over the years. I'm guessing that its just easier to notice the changes on the higher grade stuff.

13. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

This is what I have seen over the years.

Red copper may darken over time but not always. Some gain a bit of color around the edges. Copper that has been messed with before being put in the album can gain lots of different colors. Mostly green and blue around the edges. The fresh metal seems to react much faster to the cardboard album. Not a natural look. Proof copper should not be put in these albums. The cardboard dust will create spots on the coin.

Nickel may gain yellow and pink around the edges. Wartime nickels seem to just darken a bit all over and hide the luster. Proofs can get spots that grow dark.

Circulated silver may turn darker around the edges and MS silver turn yellow with hints of blue around the edges. None of mine have ever gained a rainbow look. Proofs gain nasty spots from the cardboard.

Clad coins turn a light yellowish pink around the edges. Nothing really cool looking. Proofs haze over and gain nasty spots.

Gold seems to never change. I have never put a proof gold coin in an album.

All coins will get hairlines if you are not really careful. The more you use the slides the more dirt and cardboard dust you dump on the surface of the coins. From reading this you might think I hate Dansco albums, but I actually love them for the right coins. They are great as long as no proofs or high grade, valuable coins are stored in them.

My results came from the albums being stored in average temp and humidity. I know folks that have had wild results by storing these albums in areas with large swings in temp and humidity. You never know what will happen from one coin to the next. Some turn ugly and others turn out great.

The 7070 is a great album for the right coins.

14. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Well said illini420.

15. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

It's not the conditions where you live that matters. What matters is how you alter those conditions. In other words, proper storage is what matters. You could live in the rain forest and still store your coins properly, you just have to take appropriate steps.

16. zach24

Thank you all so very much!! I certainly have learned a lot!!

17. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Here one I let tone

Doug 100% right !!!!:thumb:
    Zack in the south east I have had coin I got growing up in New York go from Blast white to almost a Golden look,just from not putting them in my in a controlled environment.
    :kewl:

Attached Files:

18. zach24

Jello, that is very useful information. Now everyone keeps saying "It depends on how you store it..." what would you suggest?

19. Merc Crazy

Merc Crazy Bumbling numismatic fool

Ziplock bags work well for stabilizing coins assuming they're in like-new condition.

If you're worried about humidity, grab some silica gel and toss it in.

20. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

Don't store them around chemicals such as cleaning agents, in wood cabinets, or most cardboards. A steady temp and humidity level is ideal, probably between 50-75 degrees with as little moisture as possible. If you smoke, well your coins are doomed anyways. There are a multitude of things that will damage coins. We can't possibly list them all.
    Guy

21. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

I just have a few old blue Whitman Fold's I have cut out the back.and set them in my three ring binder and let them go. I guess the steel for the binder adds the carbon.I have no real set way I just let the silver do what it will. that way no TPG will body bag them.
    :kewl:

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted