Dansco vs Whitman

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by swish513, Feb 9, 2016.

1. swish513

swish513 Penny & Cent Collector

Which is preferred for circulated coins? I have the Dansco for Indian Head Cents, and I have the Whitman Blue Folder for Indian Head Cents. I understand the Whitman tends to have sulfur, which causes toning. Dansco has plastic strips, which can scratch coins. So... pros vs cons of each. Keep in mind, please, I don't collect MS coins, so I'm looking at the VF/XF grade pros and cons.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Dansco......though I have a Whitman album that contains my original Franklins and nothing appears untoward.

4. Travlntiques

Travlntiques Well-Known Member

My Indian Cent collection isn't very advanced (F to VF on most) and I've kept them in a Whitman folder for maybe 10 years. It hasn't been a problem, but I don't love it either. Coins which had some colorful toning on them have changed, coins with some reddish luster present have turned more brown.
    Go with the Dansco.....BUT what I'm going to do soon enough is get a classic Wayte Raymond or Mehrig for a really classic look.

5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

The Dansco plastic covers will only scratch coins if the person isn't careful.

When inserting a coin, leave the plastic strip covering the reverse in place and press the coin all the way against it. This leaves a gap so that the plastic strip covering the obverse can't touch the coin. Once the plastic strip is in place, then you can apply a little pressure on the reverse to center the coin in the slot.

Chris

Gilbert, dwhiz, swamp yankee and 2 others like this.
  6. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Done it always........:)

7. swish513

I have heard this before, however, gravity is what it is, and time is what it is. If a coin should move because of various forces (sometimes the album is laid flat for viewing, or adding a coin), how would one prevent scratches on a coin AFTER it has been placed between the plastic?

8. cpm9ball

The issue with the plastic slide scratching a coin is because the edges are sharp. The plastic is smooth on both sides, so how could it scratch it? The coins fit pretty snugly in each slot, so someone would have to treat the album fairly rough to cause the coins to shift in position. Even if they did, all you need to do is press (gently) against the slide to reposition a coin.

Chris

swamp yankee likes this.
  9. ikes4ever

ikes4ever Senior Member

Love my Danscos. Got about 6 of them.

10. swish513

Fair enough, sir. Point received.

swamp yankee likes this.
  11. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

It's minute dirt, debris, particulates and cardboard bunnies that I fear when sliding the slides. Sure they're smooth but a small piece of debris that gets slide rolled over the coin with downward pressure from the small cavity can cause minor hairlines if one is not careful

12. cpm9ball

Then maybe you should clean the Dansco thoroughly with a vacuum cleaner before ever using it.

Chris

ikes4ever, dwhiz and swamp yankee like this.
  13. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Oops. Forgot to mention that I use a can of compressed air but the concern is valid

14. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

For circulated coins I would go with Whitman or even Littleton. I have my "from roll search" finds in a Littleton holder, it is made in the USA and is a nice folder. I'd put the higher grades in a Dansco album.

15. Paul_62

Paul_62 Just takin' it one day at a time

I have 4 of each and I have to say I love them equally... :happy:

ikes4ever likes this.
  16. bdunnse

bdunnse Who dat?

Someone say Dansco?

IMG_0001.JPG
    IMG_0002.JPG

Hommer, Kirkuleez and ikes4ever like this.
  17. cpm9ball

18. bdunnse

bdunnse Who dat?

The Morgans (what few I have) are in the "Silver Dollar" Dansco (far right bottom shelf).

19. Rushmore

Rushmore Coin Addict

Most of my albums are Whitman, the bookshelf ones. I know the strips probably have PVC but the majority of my coins are circulated anyway. I do have some Dansco albums for Euro coins, Australia, and Ireland. I wish they made more albums for foreign coins.

20. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

I like both dansco and littelton. Dansco for protection / preservation and littelton for inducing toning on fresh silver like ase's etc. Whitmans are too junky imho. I do like the blue but usually when I buy old collections there's a ton of blue folders and albums and they are all worn past the ability for resale so I'm not confident of the quality in construction with them.

21. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

I thought the same, also no large cents. The large cents, for me, the most fun to collect.

Draft saved Draft deleted