Dansco Coin Album Future?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by jimfan0106, May 31, 2018.

1. jimfan0106

jimfan0106 Member

Hi, I am sure I am not alone in the struggle to find good, solid info on the status of Dansco corporation and what the long term plan is, the company itself has next to no line of communication on any websites/social media. Some of the albums are starting to come up to the end of the pre-printed pages as far dates, 2018 Kennedy (no proofs) is effected by the lack of updates, it ends in 2017 and I had a tough time even finding a blank page for half dollars to at least keep the 2018's with the rest of the collection.

Does anyone know of any solid info in the status of the company? are they done? did they get acquired? any plans for future page updates for existing albums or new albums?

I know we have many other choices as far as albums from other companies, I just really like the quality and look of the Dansco's and have most of my collections in them. I just wish I knew something. Any info or help would be much appreciated!

Have a great day everyone!

Jim

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Histman

Histman Too Many Coins, Not Enough Time!

I'm in the same boat. I've been asking since last year and haven't found any information. Every time I've tried to contact them directly I get nowhere. I'm in a holding pattern.

4. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

All I can say is what my favorite dealer said. It is a very small family-style business in an increasingly rough area of Los Angeles. They are still operating, but struggle to meet demand from a steady clientele. It does not appear to have a good continuity plan in place, and may last as long as the current owners live. They intentionally do not have a web presence, nor do they want one. They want dealers to handle that stuff. They're craftsmen, basically.

PlanoSteve and ldhair like this.
  5. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

One wonders about the future of albums though. With the slabbers taking over the world, I bet lower and lower demand. I bet I am one of the few idiots with AU 19th century coins still in albums, and not slabbed.

KevinS, Nathan401 and PlanoSteve like this.
  6. V. Kurt Bellman

Whoa, harsh. Depends on what coins. I myself have lots of 19th century quality stuff that STILL doesn't quite yet strike me as slab-worthy. Close, getting closer by the year, but...

Several linear feet of Danscos all lined up, gleaming gold lettering showing, all snug in their corrosion resistive slip cases, it's a good look.

Nathan401 and CircCam like this.
  7. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I hope Dansco sticks around. I recently bought my first one of the current era of my collecting and it is really special, IMO.

Nathan401 and CircCam like this.
  8. V. Kurt Bellman

You built a time machine, right? And you're collecting future U.S. quarters, right? You dawg you.

Santinidollar likes this.
  9. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I have a 5 dansco albums. they look great, but tone coins while the coins are in them. I frown upon dansco albums now.

10. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I was being self deprecating. I still have Danscos from when I collected US coins with AU bust halves, quarters, draped bust, etc. I am imagining most of those are long ago slabbed.

11. bsshog40

bsshog40 Senior Member

I really like my Danscos but I agree they are becoming an issue. I have 14 Danscos. My Lincoln 8100 Dansco started at 1909 and ended at 2016. The new one out is #8104 that starts at 2010. Whats up with that?? Then I need the new Kennedy. The 8166 starts at 1964 - 2012 missing the 2012 S & Silver. Had to buy a blank page to get to 2017. The new #8167 starts at 2012-2016 and then blank page! It may just get to the point of buying blank pages and stacking them because the albums are starting to make no sense as to continuous dating.

12. V. Kurt Bellman

They do make sense. They go back and redefine the end of the old albums when they get to the point of needing a new one. Starting a new one for cents in 2010 makes sense because of a new permanent reverse. Same with a new Jeffnicks in 2006 with the new obverse. And they just ran out of thickness in the old Kennedy 8000 series, so they started a new one. In the newer pages, the four varieties run a single row, instead of the P and D in one row and the two proofs the next row down.

Stevearino likes this.
  13. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

I've heard from a big supplier before that the albums are a secondary business to them so they kind of get to it when they get to it. I believe corporate printing is their bread and butter. I think it's true but never took the time to confirm it

14. V. Kurt Bellman

Sounds completely plausible. They recently ran a run of 7070's, and they hadn't been available for years.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
  15. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

Yes! In 2021 there is going to be an incredible DDR on the "Concrete Interstate Highways" quarters series. It will look like I-35 has an extra north bound lane! :happy:

16. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

I know a few people who wish it did...:)

PlanoSteve likes this.
  17. bsshog40

bsshog40 Senior Member

It wouldn't bother me if the just made a blank album to go with blank pages and we can name and date whatever we want.

KevinS likes this.
  18. atcarroll

atcarroll Well-Known Member

19. bsshog40

bsshog40 Senior Member

20. Coinr

Coinr New Member

Does anybody know if Dansco (or anybody) sells plugs for the empty slots in our albums? I hate looking at those empty spaces. I sometimes wonder what Dansco does with all the leftover plugs after creating an album page?

bsshog40 likes this.
  21. jimfan0106

jimfan0106 Member

just chatted with a rep at the dansco coin album store web page, she said the corporation had some issues last year that impacted production, but they are now back up to speed and for my request of Pg 6 in #7166 Kennedy halves 2018-?, they should have those released by mid summer this year. Hopefully this comes through and we are back on track with updated pages for all albums!

Draft saved Draft deleted