Dansco changed my Franklins from BU to PU!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Jim-P, Apr 8, 2021.

1. Jim-P

Jim-P Well-Known Member

And I thought I had it bad with the mylar flips!

I bought a set of BU Franklins about thirty years ago, paid substantially for them as I remember but can't find the receipt, and had them stored in my bedroom closet (interior wall) in my climate-controlled house. Looks like now many/most of them are junk and seems like placement of the plastic windows in the album has a lot to do with it.

Bought lots of cardboard 2x2 holders so now I'll be transferring to those, then probably ultimately to snap-tite holders.

Is there any hope? MVC-436F.JPG MVC-437F.JPG

CoinJockey73 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. YoloBagels

YoloBagels Well-Known Member

They all look unc to me? If there's a problem here I'm not seeing it.

4. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

I believe that the OP is referring to the toning along the rims of the individual coins. Dansco albums are well known for their propensity to tone coins.

AuldFartte likes this.
  5. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

Yeah, I have had the misfortune of emptying a few of these, with unfortunate results over the years. Only one looks too dark. Put them all in 2x2's or flips, and watch the D to make sure it stabilizes. Otherwise, might have to dip that edge to save the coin.

YoloBagels likes this.
  6. YoloBagels

YoloBagels Well-Known Member

Oh in that case a quick dip in ezest should fix it. TBH that kind of toning doesn't really bother most collectors.

On the other hand I have had copper coins including BU red indian head cents turn brown in danscos. That's why I cringe to see people cracking RB and in some cases even red large cents/Half cents/indian heads just to put em in albums. And unfortunately you can't dip copper like you can with silver.

alurid likes this.
  7. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

I have to admit something........I looked at your title to the thread a number of times and never "got" it. I kept thinking "proof Uncirculated"? imPaired Uncirculated? I don't get it.......

Yeah, Pee You, I get it now. I guess old man brain cramp. :)

Randy Abercrombie and Scott J like this.
  8. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I can relate. I have my quarters in Dansco albums and they are turning darker. Not good. My Sac dollars are changing weird colors. Not good. I have my Mercury dime set in a Dansco. Guessing not to bad. ??? Would I buy another Dansco album no way.

9. CoinJockey73

CoinJockey73 Well-Known Member

Gorgeous coins.

10. Publius2

Publius2 Well-Known Member

I am feeling your pain. You are doing the correct thing, IMHO, by moving them out of the album. Album toning is an attractive "thing" to many collectors but you never know how it is going to progress and ultimately appear. Better to preserve what you have at this stage.

11. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

A quick dip in Ezest and a through rinsing should clear up those dark spots which appear to be toning. I don't see anything that has changed the condition of the coins.

12. Jim-P

Jim-P Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the advice and encouraging comments. I'll get them into safer holders and then get some ezest and do some 'spiriminting on the worst of them.

Draft saved Draft deleted