Dansco Causing Wierd Tone

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Tater, Feb 5, 2021.

1. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

I haven't looked at my quarters for ever. I have a set of State quarters and ATB quarters all in silver proof. I bought the the coins straight from mint. I was surprised with the tone pattern from this album. Its not around the outer edges its right in the centers. I had the album in a slip case in an air tight container. I live in the west so humidity is not an issue. Its almost like their was something on the slides, is that possible? Do they clean or rinse the slides prior to shipping?

IMG_1742.jpg IMG_1743.jpg

capthank likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Dansco 's are known to tone coins. If you like them blast white never use a dansco.

4. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Veeeery old Dansco's are known to tone coins. You'll see "Dansco" toned coins from the 1970's.

Modern Dansco's, as far as I know, are made from archival quality materials that should not tone coins.

Dansco toning was also universally from the rim, from contact with the folder.

Given that the brown discoloration shown here is from the center of the coin, I strongly suspect that this is due to user error - whoever inserted the coins had dirty fingers when they pushed the coin into the slot. What you're seeing is finger oils reacting with the coin from when the coin was pushed into the holder.

Every coin... right in the center... same color.... I'll bet if we had clearer pics, we'd probably see fingerprints too.

Kentucky, Magnus87, tibor and 3 others like this.
  5. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

No finger prints on any of the coins. Generally use cotton glove and never touch the coin with bare hand even to push coin into the album.

6. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

This is why I don't Dansco.

capthank and Paddy54 like this.
  7. Paddy54

Because they tone coins. Right ...

capthank likes this.
  8. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

so do you do Intercept Shield, Capital or just flips?

9. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

For raw coins, I use Airtites, stored in a plastic container with a compression seal.

And by the way, please don't take my previous comment as a criticism. I know a lot of people love Dansco albums. I just don't trust them.

capthank and Paddy54 like this.
  10. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

I've had great luck with them but this one has be re-thinking them. My 7070 is toning the dimes in it also. I spend too much on the coin and album to watch this happen.

No I didn't take offense to your comments.

11. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I've had that happen 2 my statehood quarters dansco turned darker. My Sac dollars some have strange toning too.

Paddy54 and Tater like this.
  12. Paddy54

Dansco albums tone coins no matter what age they are ....they always have from day one.
    Some more than others....I have had collectors as well dealers tell me want some color put it in a dansco.

13. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Do you smoke?

Paddy54 likes this.
  14. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

I do not.

C-B-D likes this.
  15. 1865King

1865King Well-Known Member

If used gloves to put the coins in check your gloves. They can pick up oils from your fingers and over time leach thru. I know sometimes I've used tissues but, when using tissues to put the coins in you need to make sure your using tissues that aren't treated with anything such as lotions. Whatever that is going on I bet came whatever you used to put the coins in the albums.

16. Phil's Coins

Phil's Coins Well-Known Member

The holder you have is one of the newer Dansco albums that use the archival quality paper. The spots are "user error" Wear gloves not bare hands.
    Stay Safe.

17. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

I have several stored Dansco albums. You have certainly peeked my interest, I'm going to look through all of them. Thanks for the post and information from others! Be safe

Tater likes this.
  18. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

Like I’ve said above I either wear gloves or have a barrier when I place the coins. Also no finger print tone on any of these. I have also seen this on rare occasion on some of the mint sets in the hard plastic cases like the ones these would have come in.

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  19. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I pressed the coins in with a clean T-shirt being very carefully too. I think Dansco albums are good for cheap coins. I would tell people to rethink putting in a type set worth $1,000-6,000+.

Tater likes this.
  20. ddddd

ddddd Member

I've seen it in the original US mint proof sets as well. It's possible that whatever caused the toning was already transferred to the coins from the packaging and thus would have toned regardless of where you stored it (unless you had dipped the coins before putting them into the album-but there was no way of knowing this would happen).

Kasia and Paddy54 like this.
  21. ddddd

ddddd Member

Paddy54 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted