Dansco Albums...bad idea?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Silver soul, Sep 5, 2012.

1. Silver soul

Silver soul Member

I have read many storage/display ideas. I have several sets in these albums w/slip covers and placed in frozen food ziplock bags.
    I am aware of the potential for plastic slides to scratch coins but generally once coins are in
    , that's it.
    I love the feel and construction of these albums, and the background information.
    Otherwise, is there a better Dansco type option
    , or are these more good/ less bad?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. FadeToBlack

FadeToBlack New Member

I rock Dansco's myself, no problems yet. I use the ziplock bag method.

4. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

I like Dansco albums. Just be certain to make sure the coin is seated neither too deeply nor too shallow into the slot since in either of these cases you can place hairline scratches across the coin. Also, be aware that over time you may develop some toning on the coins in the albums.

5. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Agree. I have never bought a Dansco full of coins that WEREN'T toned. All bright shiny coins will toned once placed in Dansco or similar albums for a few years. I don't know way around that.

In fact, I will wager that a large amount of toned coins like the 64's, (since they were usually BU when put in there), are FROM Dansco albums. Sometimes the toning can be quite pretty, especially on the silver coins, if you put a BU coin in there.

6. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

I LOVE Danscos. JUst be careful in inserting the coins.

7. Urban_Lawyer

Urban_Lawyer Half dollar nerd

I like Danscos over any other brand of album on the market today (including "high end" models from Intercept Shield, etc). I would never put a super high-quality coin in an album, though. My Dansco sets are usually MS-60 and below for the simple reason that the coins - no matter how careful you are - will get scratched with adding new coins to the pages and they will tone.

Toning sometimes can be beautiful, but its also possible that coins will turn crummy looking as well. Its easier to swallow on an AU-50 silver quarter than an MS-67 silver quarter, for example.

8. I have my Presidential dollars in a Dansco album and am hoping they tone. I have my ASEs in an Intercept shield album and am hoping they do not tone. TC

9. Silver soul

Silver soul Member

Thanks for the comments...I have put my Sac's since inception in D/album, and they toned immediately!

10. tdogchristy90

tdogchristy90 Dieu et les Dames

Any ways to keep them from toning if places in a dansco? I bought a general us one I felt I could put generic halfs/dimes/ect that I find in it. However I'd like them not to tone, my war type merc set for example. So any suggestions on keeping dansco from toning?

11. digitect

digitect New Member

Just remember, another word for "toned" is "corroded." :)

12. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I love the Dansco albums but only for circulated coins. Long term, proofs and MS coins are a gamble in any type album.

13. FadeToBlack

FadeToBlack New Member

No, not really... corrosion damages the surface of coins, most toning sits on the surface and can be affected by fingerprints or other surface contact... Toning can progress to damage, though.

14. medoraman

Technically, yes it is. Toning does damage the surface, its just that with toning its a tiny layer versus deeper damage. Damage is damage, whether its a one atom layer or deeper, either way once a coin tones it can never be identical to how it left the mint. Close, but never identical.

15. medoraman

I don't have any, sorry to say. Keeping the dansco cool and very dry will slow it down considerably, but I do not know if it would stop it entirely. Also, storing "sacrificial silver", loose silver you wish to tone in lieu of your coins, in the same place will generally slow down all toning as well.

16. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

The ziplock bags with silica gel in them will greatly slow the toning and keeping them in a cool environment will slow it even more. As mentioned cool and dry are the keys. The ziplock creates a micro environment that keeps out moisture and greatly slows gas exchange. The silica gel remove most of the moisture from the environment inside the bag. Toning it usually the result of an oxidation reduction reaction and it needs water (water vapor) to proceed. Then you keep it cool because chemical reactions proceed faster at higher temperatures.

17. digitect

digitect New Member

Random tangent, but I wonder what would happen if you stored a coin collection in one of those vacuum bags with a silica to pick up the tiny remaining bit of moisture?

Draft saved Draft deleted