Dansco 7337 Australia Type

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Bradley Trotter, May 31, 2020.

1. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

I haven't posted much at all on here recently due to finals and the summer courses I'm taking to clear some college credits. However, here is one of my few acquisitions that I've bought off of eBay since COVID-19 has canceled many of the local coin shows. Compared to assembling other Dansco world type albums, this one has been relatively easy to assemble, unlike the Swiss Confederation and Japan Type sets. Nonetheless, I still have to find a Melbourne Centenary Florin, which isn't relatively easy to find and, if I recall correctly, a significant portion of the mintage was melted as many of the coins went unsold.

Cover

Dansco 7337 Cover.JPG

Page 1

Dansco 7337 Page 1.JPG
    Page 2

Dansco 7337 Page 2.JPG
    Page 3

Dansco 7337 Page 3.JPG
    Page 4

Dansco 7337 Page 4.JPG
    Page 5

Dansco 7337 Page 5.JPG

Last edited: May 31, 2020
    ddddd, Chris B, lordmarcovan and 8 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. QuintupleSovereign

QuintupleSovereign Well-Known Member

Great find! I've never seen that version of page 5 before; must have been the last iteration before it went out of print.

lordmarcovan and Bradley Trotter like this.
  4. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Good work! Love seeing those Dansco World albums.

Bradley Trotter likes this.
  5. johnyb

johnyb Member

Nice . You can pick up a raw XF Centenary Florin for under AU$250..I think the Dansco Supremes are great. Enjoy filling the last few slots.

Bradley Trotter and lordmarcovan like this.
  6. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

That is a nice album!

Interesting to see that this album was released in 1980s where most of the world Dansco album stopped in mid 60s.

lordmarcovan and Bradley Trotter like this.
  7. QuintupleSovereign

QuintupleSovereign Well-Known Member

I think I got mine a while back for around $130 or so. Of course, the Aussie $ was quite weak a the time, so that may have helped a bit!

Bradley Trotter likes this.
  8. Bradley Trotter

Honestly, I would love to see your Melbourne Centenary Florins if you have them. If I'm to make any significant numismatic purchase this year, it would be a Melbourne Florin or a 1914 One Yen coin in all likelihood.

9. Mountaineer

Mountaineer Member

from the Numista web site:
    Issued to commemorate the hundredth anniversary of Victoria (1834) and the foundation of Melbourne (1935). The coins were sold at a premium of one shilling to help finance the celebrations. 75,000 were struck, but at the end of the event 21,000 remained unsold and were melted. It features the centenary logo of an equestrian figure, slightly modified to fit the circular format of a coin (the logo was set in an oval).

10. Lyricfive

Lyricfive Active Member

Question for you all. What would a complete Dansco Australia Coin Type Book be worth? I have one of my own and I have all the coins except the Melbourne 1934-35.

11. Bradley Trotter

In my opinion, it would likely come down to the quality of the coins, especially the Edward VII Florin and a few other coins. If I were in your position @Lyricfive, I'd post a new thread complete with plenty of pictures like you did with your New Zealand type album.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2020
    QuintupleSovereign likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted