Dansco 7070

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Arizona Jack, Jan 20, 2008.

1. Arizona Jack

Arizona Jack The Lincoln-ator

Well I finally did it, bought me a 7070 tonight from Collectons with my monthly supply order. Also bought the Lange Buffalo Nickel book...

I am going to slowly pry my self from sticking to Lincolns and Morgans, I have decided to do a type set and a buffalo set, so be prepared for alot of questions !!!!!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

I like my Dansco 7070. I have just a few holes left to fill for my holed coin type set. Currently I need a 1909 VDB, Memorial Cent and a clad Rosie.

4. Arizona Jack

Wow, I was always taught to buy the tough ones first............guess you didn't learn that huh?

5. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

I wanted a different twist on the type set. Holed coins sounded fun.

6. DJP7x0s

DJP7x0s Sometimes Coins Arouse Me

Are you having a hard time finding holed Memorials and Clad Roosevelts??? I might be able to come across some that you can have. I might have to search far and wide, but if you tell me what size hole your looking for. I have a 160 piece drill bit catalogue that I can go grab a bit out of. Actually I already have some memorials with holes drilled in them. I needed a few washers once. And it just seemed easier and cheaper than going to the hardware store to buy some washers.

7. DJCoinz

DJCoinz Majored in Morganology

I started an NGC registry type set and it's a lot of fun. I would do the old 7070 but, I like to be able to show 'em off, ya know. ;)

8. Arizona Jack

HOLED coins, lol, I did not notice that !!!!! I love it !!!!

9. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

That would be great. I only need one. Well, maybe two - one bronze and one zinc. (My 7070 doesn't recognize the zinc cents.)

I am trying not to cheat by drilling the holes myself or have someone drill them for me. I found a holed Sac dollar in my dealer's scrap bin but no one seems to drill cents or dimes anymore.

10. Pocket Change

Pocket Change Coin Collector

I don't know if we're being serious here or not. But I can't afford a "normal" type set. Instead of collecting coins with holes, I've started collecting the ones that have grafitti on them.

This all started when I stumbled across an 1832 Bust Half that someone had scrawled "Born July 11" on the obverse. Well, guess what - my Birthday is July 11 and I couldn't resist. The Coin has XF detail - and that very, very lovely "Born July 11" on the obverse.

Priceless.

So I've added four other "grafitti" type coins to the album.

A lot of times we talk about coins being history, etc. Well, I'm sorry and I mean no offense, but collecting MS-68 coins is not my idea of that. Oh there's the quarterly visit to the bank safety deposit box with cotton gloves to look at the coins.

Give me your AG coins - the one with rim nicks - the ones that have been shot with a bb-gun - THOSE are cool coins - not the flipping museum quality coins.

I've just bought a Whitman cardboard folder for Peace Dollars and another for Morgan Dollars. They're the push-in type folders. Each one cost $0.25. I plan on going as far as I can with an AG/G set of coins. Coins that were USED, and in many cases, cherished by our fathers and mothers.

When I was growing up in the 60's, my elders were just tickled pink to slip you a half-dollar if you shoveled out the driveway or whatever. And of course, Christmas was when you got the Silver Dollars. And they weren't MS-68 - they were well-worn specimens.

HA! I guess I'm trying to get back my childhood!!! Good luck on THAT one!!!

11. rickyb

rickyb With a name like Ricky...

my local has a as he calls it "holey" type set

cant you make your own holes then?

12. DJCoinz

DJCoinz Majored in Morganology

You know someone who goes by the handle Lordmarcovan, Hobo? ;)

13. jnpjresq

jnpjresq New Member

I love my 7070 set - a type set is fun, but filling it has been slow lately. I try to stick to XF or better (I want to show detail of each type) but some of those holes are getting pretty pricey. *and harder to find in good grades*

14. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

No, I don't.

15. stainless

stainless ANTONINIVS

pardon my ignorance but whats a dansco 7070....and what are holed coins

16. DJP7x0s

Well, I went looking and it took me a little while to remember where I put the Cents that I used as washers. So far I only found two, both are Zinc. But I think I might know where the other two are, and Ill check for a copper cent tomorrow.
    As far as a dime, I cant help you there unless I were to drill one. But I figured you would take cheating into consideration in your type set. And I like that, stick to it with no cheating and then a set like that is truely something. But I do think a set like that would be very hard to find the newer coins. So, good luck finding your dime, Ill be sure to keep an eye out for you.

[​IMG]

17. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

Dansco 7070 is a coin album for US Type Coins.

Holed coins are coins with a hole.

18. stainless

stainless ANTONINIVS

ok...
    thanks for the info Hobo:D

19. DJP7x0s

So Hobo, Would you like that Lincoln that I posted a pic of??? Im not sure if thats what your looking for in your set, but it is one that I drilled about 2 years ago. So it fits into your not cheating policy. Its yours if you want it, just let me know.

20. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

Thanks for the offer but no thanks. I'll keep looking for one that meets my high standards. :mouth: And I will find one.

Years ago on the farm I remember drilling cents for washers on occasion. I also remember using cents in fuse boxes when a new fuse wasn't available. (That was just something you did back then but I know better than to do that now. I don't know if zinc cents would work as well as bronze cents.)

21. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

I've have a lot of ms coins in mine and was trying to stay xf or better, but some of those early coppers, wow:desk: pricey. I might only be able to do F12 to VF on them. My goal is now to just get the best I can with a lot of luster.

Draft saved Draft deleted