Dansco 7070 Type Set - The Beginning of a new challenge...

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by ddddd, May 17, 2017.

1. Murphy45p

Murphy45p Active Member

I love this thread! It hits on a lot of topics, which is part of the appeal of this set!

I started mine about a year ago and I still have around a dozen holes left to fill. There are several things to like about this set: 1) It grew my knowledge of various coin issues and current prices. 2) It enhanced my understanding of various grades, and grades among issues. 3) It can be completed on a very low budget, depending upon grades of course.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Murphy45p

Murphy45p Active Member

For those thinking of beginning this type of set, for me it was all about grade and budget. And once I got started, I ended up upping both. That tends to be a recurring theme I've noticed. My original budget was $50/month, any grade. Problem was, that once I was able to acquire some coins at higher grades at that price point (I shoot for XF at minimum at this point), the coins next to them weren't as appealing. Plus my eyesight is poor, and deeply toned coins are hard for me to make out details.

The set can certainly be completed at the $50 and under range for most coins, the seated dollars, some of the large cents and half cents, and twenty cent piece may be difficult there, but I have raised my monthly budget to $200, which accomodates my grading requirements fairly well, and often I can acquire several coins in a given month at that price level.

ddddd likes this.
  4. Murphy45p

Murphy45p Active Member

My goal is to complete the set with each coin showing most all the details of the design. In some cases, I may prefer a cleaned coin to an original coin, particularly if the original coin is very darkly toned. I do not clean coins, but I will say, if I am choosing between a black original and a cleaned coin of the same grade, I'm probably choosing the cleaned coin for this set.

There are different types of cleaning. Some have an artificial glow about them, some have numerous scratches in the field from an abrasive, I don't purchase those. Others are marked "details - cleaned" and my own ability is not sufficient to determine it had been cleaned at all. Those are good enough for me in this album.

joecoincollect and ddddd like this.
  5. Murphy45p

Murphy45p Active Member

As far as cracking goes, I've done it. It allows me to know the coin is authentic and at this time, my preference is to hold the coins in this display. Yes, the coins will not be preserved as well in the album as in the holder, I agree. On the other hand, for those vehemently opposed to cracking - then don't. I don't advise anyone else to crack, and think of it this way, my cracking is increasing the value of your coins still in the holder. I'm a collector, and this is the method which I am choosing to collect.

Thanks again for the thread! I'll post some pictures when I get further along.

ddddd likes this.
  6. ddddd

ddddd Member

Latest update:

This MS 61 toned 1909 VDB was sold (I got an offer that convinced me to part with it). It has now been replaced with the UNC Details example below-which while not toned, does better match the other small cents in the album.

[​IMG]

695243-1.jpg 695243-2.jpg

7. ddddd

ddddd Member

Latest update is this Seated Dime with arrows from a local show last weekend.
    And with this I'm down to three more spots (and possibly a few upgrades). :)

IMG_E3707.JPG IMG_E3708.JPG

8. Murphy45p

Murphy45p Active Member

Wow, only three left! Which three may I ask? I'm down to 9 slots remaining, consisting of the 20 cents, quarters before the barber, two seated liberty dimes (one of them being the coin you just acquired) one seated dollar and I think there may be one seated liberty half slot open.

You've done well to get that set where it is in only two years!

My first page is where I probably need the most upgrading. How many upgrade candidates in your album? What is your collecting plan once the album is completed? I'm thinking maybe a proof ASE set for myself, I really like big silver shiny coins. Then I'll be on to gold I guess.

ddddd likes this.
  9. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

You can put a cardboard shim around the coin and it will then be nice and snug. Take the cardboard from the back of a notepad and cut it with a razor until you get the right size shim.

ddddd likes this.
  10. ddddd

ddddd Member

Thank you!

The three coins left are the Classic Head Cent (it has been difficult to find without too much corrosion at a price I like), a Capped Bust Half Dime, and a Type 1 Standing Liberty Quarter.

Potential upgrades include the Barber Half (it’s a heavily circulated example and I’d prefer something in the VF-AU range) and the Reeded Edge Capped Bust (the current one is decent but like the Barber I want a slightly higher grade).

As far as what’s next, I’m not sure. I like some of the foreign albums, but many of those are pricey before you even get to the coins! I believe the world crowns album is less expensive (or could be assembled from blank pages) and offers great variety, so that might be something I explore.

11. ddddd

ddddd Member

Thank you for the tip! I’ll give it a try.

Two Dogs likes this.
  12. Rheingold

Rheingold Well-Known Member

These are my two latest purchases....and now I have to fill 9 more Slots.....the Classic Head Cent is the most difficult coin to find in F to VF condition, that don't cost a leg or an arm.:(

IMG_20190601_132502.jpg IMG_20190601_132444.jpg

13. ddddd

ddddd Member

Those are two nice examples!
    And I agree that the Classic Head Cent is the most difficult. Some argue that it is the two Seated Dollars, but I’ve seen more of those available in decent shape (and was fortunate to get my examples for a fair price).

Paul M. and Rheingold like this.
  14. Murphy45p

Murphy45p Active Member

I have a few of the old coppers as place holders at the moment. They can be expensive for sure and hard to find at the grade I want. I'll probably upgrade those at the next coin show, we have a big one here in January.

For the SLQ, I wanted to make sure that both examples had details to show the differences, the stars below eagle are easy, but I wanted the exposed breast and some shield detail on the type one and I wanted to be able to see the chainmail up to the neck on the type II. I got the type one a few months back in an AU holder for $150 (1917 of course).

My remaining coins to acquire are all at the very top of my monthly budget, so it will take me a little longer. Another thing I did with my set was to feature a complete set of mintmarks. Two CC's, two D's, two O's, two P's, two S's and I put the 96 Roosevelt in so I'd have a W as well. Just a side thing I did.

15. ddddd

ddddd Member

I like the mintmark idea! I didn’t really focus on it, but I managed to cover most (no CC or W though).

And I had the same idea when it came to the SLQs with wanting AUs in order to really see the difference (in my case I found the ideal type 2 but am still looking for a type 1).

Another thing I’ve been debating is adding a blank page or two at the end in order to cover some of the modern type that is not in the album (items like the 4 2009 cents, the shield cent, the 2004-2005 Nickels, the 2006 Nickel, an ATB Quarter, and maybe some of the special finishes, like the enhanced UNC/reverse Proof).

Murphy45p likes this.
  16. Two Dogs

I have a model airplane and use the round things to set the wheels in so it won't roll.

ddddd likes this.
  17. Two Dogs

I completed the 7070 album a couple years ago and have to say that it was my most enjoyable numismatic experience. I still look to upgrade, or to replace a coin with a first year of the type issue (1921 Peace dollar, 1878 Morgan, etc.). I think you've been wise to find nice "detail" coins that have eye appeal to help with the budget. Coins with rim dings are good for the 7070 book as you don't really notice those dings once they are in the hole.

ddddd and Murphy45p like this.
  18. almostgem

almostgem Junior Member

Good luck with the set. My wife finished one a few years ago. Her goal was to add coins that she wouldn't mind handling, but that showed some detail of the coin. Having said that, most in her set are F / VF in older issues and uncirculated but inexpensive for modern issues. It still took her the better part of a couple of years to find all the coins that fit her needs. She still enjoys looking at and taking coins out to examine them more closely.

ddddd and Murphy45p like this.
  19. Murphy45p

Murphy45p Active Member

I had thought about that too, but with all the stuff the mint is putting out these days, it would take a lot to cover all the options. Maybe limiting it to issues released for circulation.

The W mintmark is a cheap one to cover with the Roosevelt. CC's are a little more difficult, usually they sell at a premium, but for common dates its doable.

I started my collections with pennies and nickels, one of every type and major variety of each, so my pennies go back further than the album and the westward journey series of nickels expand beyond the album. I like the album though because its organized, easy to store and easier to look at.

ddddd likes this.
  20. littlehugger

littlehugger Active Member

There are two approaches.
    Most buy the commonest of each type in the highest grade they can afford.
    Others try for rarer dates and examples.
    When I win Lotto, I will do a Dansco with the rarest of each type. 1909 S VDB Lincoln, 1916D Mercury, etc.
    Another way is to capture all the different mints. Dahlonega, San Fran, Carson City. Even Philly on modern coins.
    I really enjoy type coins, and young people are fascinated.with them.
    So, did Dansco update the 7070 in any way?

Murphy45p and ddddd like this.
  21. ddddd

ddddd Member

It’s a bit different compared to the much older versions (from the 80s) but the same as the more recent ones. All the changes were on the last page (Silver Eagle, State Quarter, Modern Commemorative, SBA).

Draft saved Draft deleted