Dansco 7070 Type Set - The Beginning of a new challenge...

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by ddddd, May 17, 2017.

1. HawkeEye

HawkeEye 1881-O VAMmer

My only recommendation would be to pick a TPG and stick with it. Otherwise you get into debates about grading quality of service 1 vs 2 when you want the discussion to be about your type set. I use PCGS only because I inherited some coins that were all PCGS graded and it was a logical place to start. But even if I had not I would have narrowed the choice to NGC or PCGS because of their dominance.

Great progress though, keep it up!

ddddd likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Great seated dollar.

ddddd likes this.
  4. ddddd

ddddd Member

All the coins shown in slabs have been cracked out and placed into an album, so the grading service doesn’t really matter. I’m picking coins that have (for the most part) plenty of eye appeal but aren’t helped by the holder (so that’s why they are being cracked out).

Two Dogs and C-B-D like this.
  5. Taurus57

Taurus57 Active Member

I really like your approach to doing this 7070. IHMO this is exactly how a 7070 should be done. I wish you continued good luck with the project and look forward to seeing the completed album.

Two Dogs and ddddd like this.
  6. ddddd

ddddd Member

Thank you!

7. HawkeEye

HawkeEye 1881-O VAMmer

I missed something in all these posts. Is your objective to complete the 7070 at the lowest possible cost?

8. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

Wow, nice progression on completing the set.

ddddd likes this.
  9. 1916D10C

1916D10C Key Date Mercs are Life! 1916-D/1921-D/1921

I want to make a love token....... out of love for myself. It seems fitting. :hilarious: Did not even know that was a thing, but I’m all for it.

10. NAVY CHIEF

NAVY CHIEF Active Member

MINOR COINS COMPLETED 1959

Attached Files:

steve.e, ldhair, ddddd and 1 other person like this.
  11. ddddd

ddddd Member

My objective is to get the most eye appeal for a reasonable price. So I'm not buying the cheapest coins, but I am sticking to mainly details holdered coins. Those tend to trade for a fraction of a problem-free example and can provide great value when the problem doesn't distract from the design.

12. HawkeEye

HawkeEye 1881-O VAMmer

Good luck with the challenge

ddddd likes this.
  13. CircCam

CircCam Victory

And the coolest Details coin acquisition of 2018 goes to.... @ddddd ! :)

ddddd likes this.
  14. ddddd

ddddd Member

After a long hiatus, a new coin is added. One of the harder spots, the Draped Bust Cent, has been filled! It's nowhere close to perfect, but there was something about this one that I liked.

662099-1.jpg 662099-2.jpg

15. Seba79

Seba79 Well-Known Member

Beautiful dollar, my series still has two empty holes, both seated dollars.. When the German series begins those dollars were relegated... but in this 219 will be complete the series, while I enjoy watching the progress here.

ddddd likes this.
  16. ddddd

ddddd Member

Thank you!
    Your German album is progressing well and I love the coins you've showed so far. I'm certain you'll find the dollars for your US album soon too!

Seba79 likes this.
  17. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I’ve often thought of starting one of these myself. Your fine progress is making me think about it more!

Murphy45p, Taurus57 and ddddd like this.
  18. ddddd

ddddd Member

My latest addition is this 1841 Seated Dime.
    Lately it has been taking longer to fill in some of the spots, even for seemingly easier coins (with the dimes my target price range has also been low to add to the challenge...this one cost $14 and was the only reasonably priced type coin I found at a local show last month).

IMG_2872.JPG IMG_2873.JPG

19. ddddd

ddddd Member

20. ddddd

ddddd Member

My newest addition is a Shield Nickel with Rays:

SRays1.jpg SRays2.jpg

Bradley Trotter, Paul M., NSP and 3 others like this.
  21. Seba79

Seba79 Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted