Dansco 7070 Type Set - The Beginning of a new challenge...

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by ddddd, May 17, 2017.

1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Nice work with the crackout coins. That Seated half is a perfect 7070 specimen!

SilverMike, mikenoodle and ddddd like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ddddd

ddddd Member

4. ddddd

ddddd Member

Time for some updates. These are still coins that I had and finally put into the album and took a photo.

*1952-D Wheat Cent ...nothing special just a generic unc
    IMG_1203.JPG
    IMG_1204.JPG

*1928 SLQ (heavily circ.), 1942 Silver Washington, & 1973 Clad Washington (one of the nicer clad Washington Quarters that I have seen pre-State Quarter era)

IMG_1205.JPG
    IMG_1206.JPG
    IMG_1207.JPG
    IMG_1208.JPG

*1881-S Morgan ...UNC & PL (maybe semi-PL)

IMG_1210.JPG
    IMG_1211.JPG

Seba79, gronnh20 and Skyman like this.
  5. ddddd

ddddd Member

Also I'm debating switching the Silver Washington Quarter.

Would you all crack this one?
    What do you think of the toned part?

IMG_1124.JPG
    IMG_1127.JPG
    IMG_1128.JPG
    IMG_1129.JPG

Seba79 likes this.
  6. SilverMike

SilverMike Well-Known Member

I am probably 80% through my 7070. Mostly the early cents, which I've never explored much, and a couple of capped bust are left. For me the biggest challenge has been balancing enough detail, which for me is usually VF or EF, with an even look in the older silver pieces.

ddddd likes this.
  7. lordmarcovan

Nice. The SLQ is well worn, sure, but decent rims and full date, so better than most of the circs out there, and it looks like a wholesome grey circ.

Pretty Morgan.

I like the 1950 quarter OK and I guess I would crack it. Then again, the reverse toning does nothing for me, personally (I don't hate it, but don't love it, either). Looks like endroll toning and somebody who's into that might like it, though, so you could leave it in the slab. But really, what's an MS63 worth? It would work fine in the 7070. No harm in cracking it, I reckon.

ddddd likes this.
  8. ddddd

ddddd Member

You are correct that MS 63 for this Quarter doesn't add any value. I checked and it's not the scarcer type b reverse. It was part of a lot that I bought, so the price is basically what a raw unc Quarter would cost. I might wait and see if I can find a better raw unc Quarter before cracking this one.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  9. ddddd

ddddd Member

Congrats! I agree with you that balancing enough detail with price is a major challenge. Your grade range is where I'm trying to be as well for many of the coins.

10. NYandW

NYandW Makes Cents!

I just picked up mine on eBay for $25.00 Good hunting and keep posting!

Seba79 and ddddd like this.
  11. ddddd

ddddd Member

Seba79, gronnh20 and Skyman like this.
  12. ddddd

ddddd Member

13. ddddd

ddddd Member

And I solved my Washington Silver Quarter dilemma with a 1935-S ex PCGS UNC details example.

368670-1.jpg
    368670-2.jpg
    IMG_1224.JPG

Seba79 and Skyman like this.
  14. Seba79

Seba79 Well-Known Member

Yes..

ddddd likes this.
  15. lordmarcovan

The 1883 V-nick looks great in there.

You can get slidemarks on the reverse of the silver Washington and have them not be so noticeable, now. ;)

ddddd likes this.
  16. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

Please, please, please, DO NOT CRACK COINS OUT OF SLABS for a Dansco Album. You WILL lose any value the coin may have had.

On the PCGS Forums, this was quite popular about 10 years ago. Many folks bought and cracked slabbed coins for their 7070's.
    When they tired of the 7070, they submitted their coins for grading and a lot of them actually downgraded.

IMO, if folks are going to chase the Dansco 7070 Type Set, chase it with RAW coins.

17. ddddd

ddddd Member

You're almost there. I'd love to see the final finished album.

18. ddddd

ddddd Member

I agree with not cracking most slabbed coins. However, the ones that I'm cracking are all details slabs or "lesser holders" that might still have minor issues. The details coins are likely worth more raw than slabbed anyways. Plus, some look good enough where a future submission might actually see some of those detail coins end up in straight graded holders (and I would need to crack them before sending anyways).

By the way, none of the cracked coins so far were submitted by me. I purchased most for similar or lower prices than raw coins.

Troodon, Two Dogs, Paul M. and 2 others like this.
  19. ddddd

ddddd Member

Here are some updates:

*The 1858 Half Dollar has strong details and looks nice despite the scratches.

IMG_1240.JPG
    IMG_1241.JPG
    IMG_1243.JPG
    IMG_1244.JPG

joecoincollect, Seba79 and Skyman like this.
  20. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

Coming along nicely! I actually think Danscos are a good cause for cracking out coins in genuine slabs. The silver quarter you threw in there looks great!

I actually really like the '59 MS63, a very unique burst of toning. Let me know when it comes time to sell.

21. BrianS

BrianS Active Member

Thanks @ddddd and all for the inspirations!! I swung by the LCS shop and picked this up today. 7070dansco1.JPG
    Now that I see the picture, it's hard to tell but it is a 7070.

Draft saved Draft deleted