Daniel Carr ?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by schepys_coins, Jan 17, 2019.

1. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

I think the reality is there are very few scarce '21 die pairings...

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

I think we can logically rule out that possibility given that they're incredibly cheap (often under melt value alone) from the Chinese manufactures. It's the middle men that are inflating the price trying to make a large profit.

If it makes you feel any better most of the silver ones used likely would have ended up getting melted by someone anyway.

4. charlie123

charlie123 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
  5. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

How can one distinguish that it was a Peace dollar that was struck over as a token rather than a silver round? Not by the obverse/reverse, and I assume the reeding isn't unique?

EyeAppealingCoins and furham like this.
  6. baseball21

Well if someone wasn't a complete novice amateur they would realize the Peace dollar designs while probably played out at this point are actually different anyway. You can even google the site if you need to cheat sheet to figure out how, or just keep banning people that don't agree with you up to you really

7. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

So are you saying that he isn't really using peace or morgan dollars for the tokens as he has said before I do believe, or that you have no idea if he does or not and believe the 'chant'?

Well at least you don't seemed to be a biased person .

Christopher W Stitt likes this.
  8. baseball21

Nope was just pointing out another aspect for the Peace dollars. You can find the ghosting if you want, but the Peace dollars was the broken sword design which is different

He doesn't need me to defend him anyway prosecutors go off facts

9. EyeAppealingCoins

EyeAppealingCoins Well-Known Member

The laws are written to protect the "complete novice amateur" without a "cheat sheet" and not well versed numismatists with specialized knowledge in the field.

I sincerely hope this thread did not cause anyone to be banned, and if it did I hope all members will be reinstated. Bannings can unintentionally chill speech and make discussions about controversial topics less likely to occur. Of course, it is Peter's site and he (and the moderators) can do whatever they wish.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
  10. EyeAppealingCoins

Let's completely ignore legal arguments and academic labels that apparently are emotionally charged. Let's talk about the FACTS:

1. An ANACS authenticator has publicly come forward and indicated that he has received multiple inquiries from people confused by his pieces.

Source: Coin World (2016) https://www.coinworld.com/news/us-coins/2016/08/1922-d-half-dollar-struck-at-private-mint.html

2. A major grading service has offered a five figure sum in efforts to locate a 1964-D Peace Dollar at least creating the appearance that one might possibly exist.

Source: PCGS Newsletter (2013) https://www.pcgs.com/newsletter/2013/01/15/pcgs-10K-reward-for-1964-d-peace-dollar

3. Many people are naive by human nature and take stupid risks. The general public does not know much about numismatics or HSN and the like wouldn't have lucrative coin segments.

The fact that many of you refuse to see the problem and potential for abuse and fraud is absolutely beyond baffling me. Regardless of whether his pieces are legal, his pieces are a threat to this hobby and the public. Even assuming you can do something does mean that you should do something or that you should be immune from criticism for the consequences of your actions whether legal or illegal.

11. baseball21

So when will you lead the charge on Large Cents, Half Cents, 3CN, 3CS, Two Cent, Twenty Cent, 2.5 Gold, Patterns, Tokens, Medals, 3 dollar Gold, Pre 1980 Proofs, Proos, 3 Dollar gold, and so on because the "complete novice amateur" has no idea they ever existed.

So now we are supposed to ignore actual facts and legality because why? Feelings?

But what do I know apparently I am just a troll

12. EyeAppealingCoins

I don't really understand your argument here. Official government issues are official government issues.

No. Highly technical arguments seem to confuse some so I thought it might be helpful to use a simplistic approach and avoid using trigger words that are counterproductive and shut down discussion.

Christopher W Stitt likes this.
  13. Chiefbullsit

Chiefbullsit CRAZY HORSE

Some have ghosting from the host coin.

I have done business with Dan for many years. He has often gone out of his way to help me when he didn't have to. He is a man of his words, I trust him.

If Dan says it's o/s on a Peace Dollar then it's o/s on a Peace Dollar, not a round.

I can't believe you'd even ask that?

TopcatCoin likes this.
  14. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

Try by weight if nothing else (although the broken sword reverse is a dead give-away). Silver rounds are 1 troy oz of .9 SOMETHING. Peace Dollars are not.

For all you nit pickers it's fixed. What's next, spell and grammar check....:vomit:

And send it to the desert...:yack:

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
    baseball21 likes this.
  15. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

An agenda, and if one thing doesn't work to get your word accepted and get everyone on your side and not on DC's side, well try another.

Chiefbullsit likes this.
  16. EyeAppealingCoins

Not necessarily...
    s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600 (1).jpg

@desertgem

17. EyeAppealingCoins

His point seems to be that if you can't tell the difference then the overstrike distinction is not meaningful. Once the host coin is destroyed, it doesn't matter whether he is using genuine Peace Dollars or silver rounds as the result is the same: A privately struck coin using false, unauthorized dies.

18. robec

robec Junior Member

LOL!!!
    Why would DC lie about using Peace or Morgan dollars, Lincoln or Indian Cents or any other authentic US coin he uses as a host? All are readily accessible in great numbers. First he's a counterfeiter and now he's a liar. I can't wait to see what comes next.

19. EyeAppealingCoins

Wrong. I don't think that was Jim's point. See my post above yours.

20. robec

robec Junior Member

I understand what you're saying. You can distinguish it because DC has said over an over what the host coin is. It is well documented. To say it isn't is calling him a liar.

baseball21 likes this.
  21. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Okay, at what point does the magic essence enter into the product and make it illegal? And how is that essence kept out of elongated cents, hobo nickels, and "Gold and Platinum Edition Precious-Metal Layered State Quarters"?

Counterfeiting laws were originally intended to protect a nation's money supply from dilution; you can't dilute the money supply by taking coins and not altering their face value.

TopcatCoin and baseball21 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted