Daniel Carr Strikes Again!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by fretboard, May 19, 2021.

1. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

But he's been providing them, not his customers. His restrikes were of his coins, not his customers' coins. Isn't that right?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

And that's what I said when I called it a "real niche" (emphasis supplied) market. Of course his whole business supplies a niche market, that's a no-brainer.

4. 1865King

1865King Well-Known Member

He's not doing anything illegal or trying to commit fraud. I have a few of his coins and from what I've seen he is not reproducing any "real" coins. In other words he's not minting 1933 double eagles or 1804 dollars. If he did then that would be considered counterfeiting. I have a few of his Peace dollars and the reason I bought them is real Peace dollars are almost impossible to find in high grades without spending a small fortune to get one. I will attach a picture of one he recently did. Good luck trying to find a US mint produced one in this condition. Maybe when the mint restrikes the Peace at the end of this year but, that's only if you can beat the big time dealers in the game of buying everything up then multiplying 1918 Peace Dollar.jpg the sell price by 2 to 4 times so we can over pay for them. Good luck finding a Peace dollar struck like the 1918 I'm posting. BTW they actually look even better in hand. Note the date of 1918. No mint struck Peace dollars were struck in that year. So it's not counterfeit.

thomas mozzillo likes this.
  5. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

I'd say there will be a very limited strike on these as he needs to find a customer not only with the money to spend, but the host coin to give up. Just off the top of my head, I'd say he won't get more than possibly 20, at the most. JMO

6. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

We've been over that ground many times throughout the years, @1865King, go back and see. We get the program. That's a nice-looking restrike, BTW.

7. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

That has been my understanding. My guess is with a $20 gold coin he doesn't want to deal with the high overhead. So, he charges a fee to take a customer's coin and turn it into one of his tokens...rather than sitting on a bunch of double eagles.

-jeffB likes this.
  8. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Right. And there's the whole thing. Or, two things. One, they're our genuine coins he's restriking into tokens. And two, they're expensive. That's a different market than the ready-made, off-the-shelf market he's got here on CoinTalk, and on the other forums. How many of them are going to go for this? No one here said they are, or at least not yet.

9. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I don't see how it makes much of a difference. There are plenty of junk gold coins out there that someone could send if they choose. I think this is simply a move to keep his overhead down and I don't blame him for that.

I don't own any of his stuff so I don't really care either way. Years ago, I tried to buy one of his own designs but it didn't work out.

AdamL likes this.
  10. 1865King

Your right and every time someone posts something about Dan Carr there are multiple negative posts about his work and many positive posts. I been watching them for years. And responding to many of them. People tend to claim he is counterfeiting coins but, he's not. I wouldn't be surprised that if Dan wanted to he could easily counterfeit any US coin. I know he won't do it but, he is very skilled at his craft and puts the US mint to shame. I can't wait to see what the mint does when the strike Morgan and Peace dollars. Hopefully, they put some effort into the dies. If they strike the Morgan's like they were struck in 1921 they will look like crap. The same for the Peace dollar. I expect to see a flat strike. Again it will look like crap. Just like when they struck the gold 2016 Mercury dimes. For some stupid reason they didn't include what most Mercury dime collectors look for and that is the split band in the middle if the reverse. I saw that and couldn't believe they did it. Between the power of the presses today and being struck in gold it would have been a no brainer but, I was wrong.

Dave Waterstraat likes this.
  11. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Right there with you. The quarter and half commems were much better detail-wise, but still the wrong diameter. :banghead:

12. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

Too bad the shield on the 1848 is not the Type I style. Oversight?

13. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

My two denarii communis is that these fantasy strikes are just fine, like those Franklin Mint (or other related) “coins” of places that never minted anything. I have a really neat Baker Island “one dollar coin.” It’s a fantasy strike as Baker Island is totally uninhabited.

it’s just a fantasy token, nothing to get riled up about.

14. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

I highly doubt oversight. I'm sure that was intent. The type 1 reverse is a wet dog compared to type 2.

eddiespin likes this.
  15. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Nobody is questioning his skills, and his legality is yet unsettled. Aside from that, I agree with you. BTW, are you going to buy one of these? Is anybody here going to?

16. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

If I had a double eagle that was a problem coin I would. I wish I would have bought a few raw back when I got back into collecting when gold was around $400/ oz. I know I would have a problem coin or two had I done that....:rolleyes:

17. 1865King

If your talking about buying his gold coin? NO, When it comes to a coin I could buy, like a nice Liberty Head double eagle I could buy one and 1859 OBV J-228 PF 64.jpg 1859 REV J-228 PF 64.jpg I do have one. I can say the same about his Indian cents or Buffalo nickels. Both of those I own in very high grades (some of the finest known for date or type) so I have no interest in those. However, when it comes to coins that would cost a small fortune to buy an original I would consider buying an example from Dan.

I'm attaching pictures of one of my extremely rare Indian cents. It's a proof 1859 Indian cent with shield reverse. About 20 were made.

18. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

If I had a couple culls or cleaned examples, I would send them in.
    That premium with DC coins will always be there. If gold goes way down in the future. The restrike will always carry it's premium.

19. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

So, does that earn it "pattern" status?

20. 1865King

Yes but technically it's not. Back in the late 50's into the early 60's it was considered part of the Indian cent series. 1,000 non proofs were made and just a few proofs. Two different sets of dies. One for the proofs and one for the circulation strikes. J-228 I have both types. Note there are some certified as proof that really aren't.

-jeffB likes this.
  21. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

I'll have to find out. Wouldn't be the first time a mistake was made.

Draft saved Draft deleted