Daniel Carr Strikes Again!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by fretboard, May 19, 2021.

1. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Anyone have a 1850-1876 gold double eagle lying around that I might borrow?

OldSilverDollar and MIGuy like this.
  4. fretboard

I hear ya', I wonder how many he's going to strike? I'm thinking just a couple of hundred! thumbsup.gif

OldSilverDollar likes this.
  5. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

The $20 overstrikes have usually only been a dozen or a couple of dozen mintage wise.

OldSilverDollar and fretboard like this.
  6. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

You notice how many disclaimers he has in the description? Tells you some funny business might be up.

OldSilverDollar and furham like this.
  7. Silverpop

Silverpop Well-Known Member

he is making sure his bases are covered so to speak nothing wrong with that and he has been doing this for some years now

tibor, 1776, Bayern and 2 others like this.
  8. charley

charley Well-Known Member

Repetition make the heart grow fonder.

9. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

10. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

I'll take a double struck with the second off center.....:)

11. fretboard

Okay, that makes sense especially since this seems to be the area that causes the most controversy for him. ;)

12. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Now, that's going big! I almost regret having sold a Type II (for a small, quick profit) a couple of years ago. But that's more money than I'm comfortable tying up in my Carr hobby.

13. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

Too bad the 1848 has the wrong shield.

14. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I think he's over his head on these. He can't even show us an example he's made. I see he's partnered with some guy now and they're stuck with this big coin press and he's even grabbing at the pandemic market now and get yours while they last and we heard it all before. I'm hardly impressed.

I was OK with his costume coins. Ultimately there's really nobody that's going to bother him there, unless they're really bored for a controversy. But these require sending in a genuine coin for a refurbish job, and what do you end up with, but a phony? His market, there, if any, has to be a real niche one.

15. -jeffB

All of his "restrikes" use a genuine coin. You end up with an altered coin.

I agree that altering a 1937-D nickel to remove a leg, or altering a 1916 Merc to add a D, is wrong. It's generally done with criminal intent. Altering a coin to produce a likeness in a nonexistent date -- it just doesn't raise my hackles, but it does raise my interest.

I think he's had other products before where he requires you to send your own coin to be overstruck. In fact, I think that was what he did with his gold St. Gaudens overstrikes. I would guess he just doesn't want to tie up as much capital as it would take to buy host coins himself, especially given low and unpredictable demand.

As for "niche market", I'd say his entire market is a very small niche. The part of that niche willing to shell out for double eagles is smaller still.

16. -jeffB

Thinking back to the eligible DEs I (briefly) owned, I realize that I wouldn't have sent them in. They were non-problem coins, not nice enough to have a significant premium over melt, but nice enough that I wouldn't want to intentionally damage them.

If I had an eligible DE that had been harshly cleaned or badly scratched, I'd seriously consider sending it in. I'd be taking a coin that was already undesirable, and altering it to something highly desirable for me and for some other collectors, without any opportunity for fraud.

17. Silverpop

Silverpop Well-Known Member

yes the market for these type of coins is small but
    his products are in demand to a select group of collectors don't mind spending money on his products

18. This is so true. I enjoy his work and appreciate the fact that he caters to a small market. Of course, this also means that mintages (supply) are relatively low. It is tougher to gauge demand especially in the secondary market. There are some people that need to own most if not everything while others collect certain segments of his work. I would not be surprised if demand increases significantly in the future.

19. charley

I doubt that.

20. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I don't see anything fishy. I suspect this is just a response to the growing number of people who seem to think his products aren't legal.

Bayern likes this.
  21. charley

Go to NGC. Search the very involved discussions concerning Daniel Carr. You will understand better, I think, what Physics is referring to. There is a reason for those disclaimers.

Draft saved Draft deleted