Daniel Carr Question

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Mojavedave, Jan 25, 2019.

1. Mojavedave

Mojavedave Senior Member

I have seen a lot of action on Daniel Carr coins. These coins are not USMInt coins, so how does he get by without COPY COIN stamped on his works.

upload_2019-1-25_17-33-39.png upload_2019-1-25_17-33-39.png

Dave

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

4. Amos 811

Amos 811 DisMember

5. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

I think I have a hint... look for the mintage numbers for that coin.

TypeCoin971793 likes this.
  6. EyeAppealingCoins

EyeAppealingCoins Well-Known Member

There are plenty of threads, including some recent ones. I would check those out. His pieces are controversial. I think I'll leave it at that rather than reinventing the wheel.

ernie11 likes this.
  7. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

I'll respond to the grenade you just chucked into the room given that you have been here far to long to have not seen the countless threads before.

The long story short is that no matter what internet experts proclaim he's been in the open for a decade and no government action and the ANA even dismissed a complaint against him, end of story move on

8. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Drop this, please, and go look up the other threads.

9. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

Please, reinvent the wheel. I so enjoyed your previous posts, and you have already come to the party here.

upload_2019-1-25_21-3-44.jpeg

green18 and 1916D10C like this.
  10. 1916D10C

1916D10C Key Date Mercs are Life! 1916-D/1921-D/1921

tenor.gif

Popcorn! Get it while it's hot! Also kettle corn and caramel corn for those with tastes too sophisticated to eat regular buttered and salted! o_O;)

Kasia likes this.
  11. Mojavedave

Mojavedave Senior Member

I understand the dates and M-M do not co-ordinate with the real actual coins. But isn't there a law against faking US coins.

Dave

12. 1916D10C

1916D10C Key Date Mercs are Life! 1916-D/1921-D/1921

tenor (2).gif

Trish and baseball21 like this.
  13. Mojavedave

Mojavedave Senior Member

OK, I understand that this has been re-hashed numerious times, but I past those items up because I have no interest in COPY coins. I am sure there are several who agree with this topic and would like to read something constructive.

Dave

14. EyeAppealingCoins

The referenced threads weren't merely posting Carr's pieces. This exact topic, the legality of Carr's pieces or lack thereof, is mentioned in almost every thread where Carr is mentioned directly or indirectly. It's there. The real challenge is finding a Carr thread where the criticism isn't discussed or the other threads aren't referenced.

15. -jeffB

Ah, so it wasn't just a can of worms -- it was a can of bait. Got it.

16. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

How do you copy a coin that doesn't actually exist?

Not by your interpretation, but the law's strict interpretation?

That is the real argument ... the interpretation. Which unless someone can convince the DOJ/Denver prosecutors etc that their interpretation is incorrect, well, then you can argue all you want based upon your incorrect interpretation.

17. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Yes there is. So I still don’t understand why he’s not shut down

18. Mojavedave

Mojavedave Senior Member

19. -jeffB

And you have plenty of company.

To be honest, I don't understand completely why he's not shut down -- but that's not surprising, because I'm not a lawyer, or a legislator, or a law enforcement official. What I do understand is THAT he's not shut down, despite lots of attention, some at fairly high levels in the numismatic community. And I don't really think it's because the relevant authorities are evil, or stupid, or misguided, or willfully looking the other way.

20. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Yes for those that are interested in something constructive here are the facts.

The facts are the ANA dismissed a complaint against him. The facts are that in essentially a decade of operating no charges have been brought.

End of facts, all that matters, move on

Nothing anyone else says nor will their feelings matter. If they really wanted to attempt to change it they know how, complaining constantly on the internet is not how to do it

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
    Dave Waterstraat likes this.
  21. EyeAppealingCoins

The FTC, the federal agency charged with interpreting and enforcing the statute, already addressed the issue in a binding legal opinion. It found that changing a single digit of the date was not enough of a distinction to exempt an item from the marking requirements of the HPA even if wasn't a copy in a strict sense. In that case someone was striking fantasy date foreign coins, using fictitious dates that were usually a year before a series began or a year after it ended. The FTC held that the items with fantasy dates were required to be marked with the word "COPY" and that the intent of the company producing them was irrelevant to the FTC's inquiry.

The use of the word "copy" was a misnomer that was probably introduced by the geniuses at the ANA who helped promote the poorly written statute and should have foreseen the confusion that it would create. These probably are the same geniuses involved in the Carr ANA complaint. That's why coin people should stick to coins and leave the law to others.

As for why the FTC has not done anything about him, it is likely because no one has brought a formal complaint against him (at least there is not one in the public record). The FTC doesn't go out and actively search for violators. Even if the FTC was aware, it has more important areas to regulate like a plethora of larger impact consumer protection statutes.

Does this clarify things for you?

Draft saved Draft deleted