Daniel Carr 1964 Franklin Half Dollar?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by fretboard, Jan 25, 2012.

1. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

He only sold one as noted in the blog.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mkwelbornjr

mkwelbornjr Junior Member

Here are pics of the Clark Gruber Gold Piece from Carr in an ANACS slab.

Attached Files:

4. trdtaco

trdtaco Member

these are very cool coins but those ebay prices seem like there up in space!!

5. krispy

krispy krispy

There is a strong collectors premium attached to DC's work on the aftermarket, but like anything else you have to understand what those values are, the size of the mintage and how badly you want something. Often waiting for an appropriate price and the right timing will get you an example at a fair price. As you know eBay sellers are want to inflate values at times.

SirCharlie likes this.
  6. JCB1983

JCB1983 Learning

I believe I would want my tombstone to read "Brilliant Artist," not "Billiant marketer." Just an opinion.

7. krispy

krispy krispy

With enough money, or stone-working skill, you can write anything you want to advertise on your tombstone. Not an opinion, a fact.

What you can't necessarily control is your reputation amongst people with varying degrees of information and reactionary motivation informing their opinions, let alone a chisel in their hands to come out to your grave site and desecrate the message you choose to be remembered by with some snarky epitaph later on. Though again, money, paid to protect your self-erected stone shrine may keep the hacks at bay, at least for a while.

SirCharlie likes this.
  8. raider34

raider34 Active Member

I believe with the exception of 1 coin, none of the "error" coins have been sold by Carr. He is a coin collector, and like he says on his site, the error coins are done for entertainment purposes. I can't blame him for that, they are pretty cool to look at. *-I see 19Lyds beat me to it.

I want mine to say "I told you I was sick".

9. JCB1983

JCB1983 Learning

* Sigh (I imagined typing this..)

Sir it is of my utmost direct opinion that you do not have to fear the long-term monetary opportunity cost (in which I have been made aware of), nor the raised eyebrow from the far end of the spectrum of varying degrees of the informed when you are dealing with a matter of principal.

The last time I checked the title of this thread was "1964 Franklin Half Dollar." In the defense of a snarky reactionary uninformed hack? This is not in favorable taste to the 1964 Kennedy Half, which is not "a fantasy coin," and was presented to honor one of the finest presidents that ever lived.

These are my feelings on the issue and I am sorry if you were offended by them. I'm actually a fan of the New York and Rhode Island State Quarters. On the other hand a 1964 Franklin Half which is selling upwards of $100 dollars? Sorry... I prefer Picasso's original work.

10. krispy

krispy krispy

@JCB: Well, that sounds a lot more like a well reasoned opinon. Thanks for sharing it here.

BTW, DC is a CT member and does read threads where it concerns him and questions about his work.

11. JCB1983

JCB1983 Learning

12. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Anyways, I'm still mulling it over. Think I'll keep it.

13. krispy

krispy krispy

Probably the best option is to keep it. When there is so much resistance to something it's often worth looking into collecting what no one wants, if prices are low(er) as well because of lack of demand for the thing.

So, I know you are using DC's image from his listing when these were sold, but what can you tell us about this, from the coin's description on Moonlight/DC-Coin:

"Some evidence of the underlying host coin design will likely show somewhere, such as head and/or Liberty Bell."

Do you have any of your own pics of the coin? How much, if any, and to what extent is the ghosting showing on your coin?

14. mkwelbornjr

It takes a lot of time and tooling work to make these overstrikes. Some coin collectors seem to snuff something because its not like something else. Personally I prefer variety. If we didn't have the numers coin/medal/token offering we do today they hobby would be boring. If you wanted only a real 64 JFK Half that would close the door to many other ideas.

15. mkwelbornjr

DC OS 1964 Franklin 50c - 1.jpg DC OS 1964 Franklin 50c - 2.jpg DC OS 1964 Franklin 50c - 3.jpg DC OS 1964 Franklin 50c - 4.jpg Here are pics of one I purchased and sent to ANACS

16. krispy

krispy krispy

Very nice, mkwelbornjr!

17. JCB1983

JCB1983 Learning

O.K. *throws in the towel. Sorry for offending.

I would also like to point out that there is a lot of room in this market. Somebody could always make Benjamin Franklin Halves mint-marked during the time that he was actually alive, and donate the money to charity. Just food for thought.

18. krispy

krispy krispy

JCB: I didn't think anyone was offended. How about a fantasy coin set Franklin '64 and Kennedy '63... :eek:

I for one like the Kennedy halves a lot, more so perhaps than Franklins (that's just me), but I really admire DC's work and have considered owning one of these Franklin fantasy coins myself.

19. JCB1983

JCB1983 Learning

Well It is true that I have purchased some of his Ron Paul coins before. Tonights coffee was rather strong.

20. krispy

krispy krispy

LOL! No worries, I like coffee too! :thumb:

21. Caleb

Caleb Active Member

I wonder why the US Attorney's Office hasn't paid him a visit yet? What Carr does, how does it fit in with the Hobby Protection Act? Are these not "altered" coins?

Draft saved Draft deleted