Dancing Krishna!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by JayAg47, Nov 18, 2020.

1. JayAg47

JayAg47 Well-Known Member

This coin depicts baby Krishna dancing on the head of Kaliya, the demon snake.
    krishna,.jpg
    The story goes as a giant snake once terrified the people who went near the river Yamuna. Krishna as the human incarnation of Vishnu, was playing with his friends on the banks of the river, and when their ball flew into the river he went to retrieve it, but Kaliya started to constrict him and tried to swallow the child Krishna as a whole.
    But Krishna started to grow in its mouth, opened the jaws and got on to the snake's head, and started dancing, each step squeezed out the venom and in the end, he not only devenomized Kaliya but also showed him mercy after the snake repented.
    Madurai Nayakas, 2.50 grams, unidentified Tamil legends on the reverse within an incuse.
    circa 1500s.
    Post your coins depicting a mythical story, or just Hindu gods!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Quant.Geek

Quant.Geek Well-Known Member

A few from my older, collection. I really need to take more pictures of my coins :rolleyes:

upload_2020-11-18_20-12-9.png
    Sivaganga Nayaka: Anonymous (ca. 1764-1800) Æ Kasu (Ganesh 12.13)
    Obv: Lord Ganesh, seated on throne
    Rev: Shiva Lingam with garland around

[​IMG]
    Kuninda: Amoghabhuti (late 2nd Century BC) AR Drachm (MACW-4440,4441)
    Obv: Deer standing right with Goddess Lakshmi in front holding flower; Hill below deer. Legend around in Brahmi - Rajna Kunimdasa Amoghabhutisa Maharajasa
    Rev: Stupa and ancillary symbols; Legend around in Kharosthi - Rana Kunidasa Amoghabhutisa Maharajasa

[​IMG]
    Yaudheyas: Anonymous (ca 190-340 CE) Æ Tetradrachm (MACW-4707)
    Obv: Kartikeya standing facing, holding a spear in his right hand, with a rooster to right; Brahmi legend Yaudheya-ganasya jaya around
    Rev: Goddess Devasena standing slightly turned to her left with right hand extended

Here is a less common Yaudheya coin that depicts Karthikeyan with 6 heads, but alas, three of his heads are off-flan...
    [​IMG]
    Pre-Kushana Yaudheya: Unknown? Six-headed Karthikeya / Shashthi Drachm (Pieper-1113var)
    Obv: Six-headed Karthikeya holding spear in his right hand, his left on his hip; Unknown circular Brahmni legend to the right
    Rev: Female deity (Shashthi) standing above wavy line, ten-arched hill with nandipada on top on right, railed tree on left

[​IMG]
    Vijayanagar Empire: Hari Hara II (1377-1404) AV Half Pagoda (MCSI-412) Obv: Siva and Parvati seated facing, Siva holding parasu (axe) and mriga or deer
    Rev: Devanagari legend: Sri Pra / ta pa Ha ri / Ha ra

4. JayAg47

JayAg47 Well-Known Member

Really nice looking coins, for my Hindu gods collection Ganesha was the hardest one to find! but I was lucky enough to get this Madurai Nayaka Ganesha among an ebay group lot!
    ga.png

5. Quant.Geek

Quant.Geek Well-Known Member

Some of the Nayaka coins are scarce to very rare and the total number of varities are staggering! I have way too many that haven't been properly photographed or classified. Time is always my enemy. Furthermore, my books are all packed away in storage, so even if I photographed them, I would need my books for classification. A few more that are on my harddrive...

[​IMG]
    Thanjavur Nayakas: Raghunatha Nayaka (1614-1640) Æ Kasu (MCSI-743; Ganesh-489)
    Obv: Standing Rama, Sita & Laxmana
    Rev: Devanagari legend श्री रघु / नाथा (Sri Raghu / natha) in two lines

[​IMG]
    Thanjavur Nayakas: Vijaya Raghava Nayaka (1640-1673) Æ Kasu (MCSI-758)
    Obv: Garuda standing facing
    Rev: Devanagari legend श्री रा / घव (Sri Ra / ghava) in two lines

[​IMG]
    Gupta Empire: Samudragupta (344-378 CE) AV Dinar (MACW 4781-82) Obv: (Samara-śata-vitata-vijayo jita-ripur-ajito-divam-jayati; The invincible king who has won victories in a hundred battles and conquered the enemies, now wins the heaven); King standing left, nimbate, wearing close-fitting cap, coat and trousers, ear-rings and necklace, holding in left hand standard bound with fillet, dropping incense on altar with his right hand; on left, behind altar, is a standard bound with a fillet, surmounted by a Garuda facing; Beneath king's arm - (Samudra)
    Rev: Goddess Lakshmi seated facing on throne, nimbate, wearing loose robe, necklace, and armlets, holding fillet in outstretched right hand and cornucopiae in left arm; her feet reset on lotus; traces of back of throne on right; border of dots. On right - (Parākramaḥ)

[​IMG]
    Kushan: Shaka (ca. 325-345 CE) AV Dinar (Göbl 589; MACW 3570)
    Obv: Crowned, diademed king standing facing, nimbate, holding standard and sacrificing at altar at left, blundered Bactrian legend around, Brahmi legend: Shaka at right, bhri under arm
    Rev: Goddess of plenty Ardoksho enthroned facing, holding diadem and cornucopia, blundered Bactrian legend right: APΔOXþO, tamgha at left

[​IMG]
    Vijayanagar Empire: Achyutaraya (1529-1542) ½ pagoda (MCSI-673, Ganesh-141)
    Obv: Gandabherunda (double-headed eagle) walking left, holding an elephant in each beak and in each foot
    Rev: Three-line Devanagari legend: Sri Pra / ta pa chyu ta / ra ya

6. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

What a cool little coin!

JayAg47 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted