Danbury Mint

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Kentucky, Aug 30, 2016.

1. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

So many people complain about Littleton and high prices, just saw this in a circular we got here and thought I would share it...wonder if they buy coins...even at a fraction of their sell price...

penny.jpg

Paul M. likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

I hate when people buy this crap and then a few years later it's on ebay for double what coin is worth.

Kentucky, TJ1952 and Paddy54 like this.
  4. Kentucky

This is already double, perhaps quadruple.

Evan8 likes this.
  5. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

True

Kentucky likes this.
  6. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Hey, a marble finished collector display. Is that any relation to HSN's red oak presentation box?

Kentucky likes this.
  7. Ericred

Ericred Active Member

Maybe theyll throw in one of those printed certificates of authenticity

Kentucky likes this.
  8. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I don't know how outfits like this survive. Are all their customers unable to see eBay?

Guess, though, I ought to ask the customers of TV coin shows the same thing.....

Kentucky likes this.
  9. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

That is one expensive cardboard holder! :) At least shipping is free, or so they say.

Kentucky likes this.
  10. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Wow, over 100 years old. I wish I had a coin over 100 years old :rolleyes:

And "limited supplies" and "nearly impossible to find?" Wow, where could I get something like that? I really wish i had a coin like that. :p

Oh wait! How about 2,400+ years?
    Lion Cherronesos Thrace Hemidrachm.jpg

On a serious note, I can still find the occasional Indian Head Penny in pocket change. Gotten 2 of them over the last 3 years. Rarely comes up in pocket change, but they are not impossible to find. And a quick visit to any local coin shop and you can walk out with a circulated one for a bit less than the ones being offered in the ad, as they literally have dozens in their junk bins. Not to mention dozens of graded ones too. But I doubt you'll find a Cherronesos Thrace Hemidrachm in any pocket change, now that would be "almost impossible to find." And I also doubt you'll find a dozen at your local coin shop in any grade, much less one.

coinzip, Paul M. and Kentucky like this.
  11. Kentucky

I have been collecting since the early 1950's and have NEVER found one in circulation.

12. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

I live in south Florida, the retired people's state. Two counties above me the average person on the street is probably 65+ years old and there is the largest retirement community in the world.

I'm sure little Billie rifles through his grandfather's old coin jars when he comes to visit and puts the coins in circulation, or when someone passes away, ignorant family members find a jar or two of old coins and put them into circulation. I've received 3 silver coins in my change at one time before. I'm not saying you find these coins every day, but every once in a while you strike silver or old nickel in your change, and I've also received old bills from the 40's through the 1980's as change before.

Since I don't collect any of that old US stuff, whenever I find anything I just donate it to a 14 year old family member who collects them.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
    Kentucky likes this.
  13. Kentucky

Dang, I'm the only old person around here.

14. Andrew5

Andrew5 Member

Good post. I try to call some of this out on my not so up to date blog. I may have to use this one too.

Kentucky likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted