Damnatio or Just Plain...

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ken Dorney, Jul 23, 2019.

1. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

One of the things that I love about our hobby is that we have the free range to endlessly speculate about various aspects of ancient coinage. There are many who would call this denarius a damnatio type, but I like to think there is a simpler and in some way more fascinating reason as to its modern appearance.

As it is a fourre I like to think that at some point in time a merchant or other hapless recipient discovered that their coin was a fake. In a fit of rage they then proceeded to deface the coin, inflicting many deep cuts onto and into its surface. Can you imagine in modern times if your paycheck bounced? What would you do? Tear it into a hundred pieces?

6399.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Yes, I would. Hasn't happened to me yet, very interesting coin!

4. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Not damnatio in my opinion. Why do both sides and perhaps offend some deity? Someone making sure it wouldn't be used possibly.

5. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

6. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

It is interesting that it still survived until now.

So whoever defaced it didn't completely destroy it, did they give it to their kids as a toy? Spend it as a bronze coin? Even a silver foil or plating would make it worth double(?) what a bronze coin would be worth?

John

7. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

Interesting coin. It put me in mind of a damaged Vespasian denarius I have - unlike a damnatio, the damage appears to be avoiding defacing Vespasian. But they don't look like banker's marks. One of the gouges appears to be centered on Pax's outstretched hand. Another ancient mystery...

Vespasian - Pax seated Mar 2017 (0).jpg

Vespasian Denarius
    (January-June 71 A.D.)
    Rome Mint

IMP CAES VESP AVG P M, laureate head right / TRI POT [II] COS III P P, Pax seated left with caduceus and branch.
    RIC 41; RSC 566; Sear 2313.
    (3.03 grams / 17 mm)

Orfew, Johndakerftw and Bing like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted