Damnatio Memoriae

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by hotwheelsearl, Oct 17, 2021.

1. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

Damnatio memoriae is a Latin term that basically means "damn the memory," IE the erasure of the memory of a particular person.

This was often done for emperors who had fallen out of favor. The usual damnatio process tended to be:

Destruction of statues
    DSC_1847.JPG
    Fig 1: Bronze portrait statue of woman, heavily damaged.

Defacement of statues, to be recarved in a different image:
    l_pl2_23118_fnt_bw_h45.jpg
    Fig 2: Portrait bust of Nero, defaced and recarved Claudius.

Defacement of paintings:
    Portrait_of_family_of_Septimius_Severus_-_Altes_Museum_-_Berlin_-_Germany_2017.jpg
    Fig 3: Severan Tondo, showing Septimius, Domna, Caracalla, and a damned Geta.

Erasure of portraits from multiple-headed coins:
    coin-septimius-severus-and-portrait-bust-geta.jpg
    Fig 4: Confronted coin of Septimius and Geta, with Geta smoothed and countermarked out.

Chiseling away of reliefs:
    karnak-luxor-egypt-temple-of-karnak-sacred-to-god-amon-relief-erased-EXC7TK.jpg
    Fig 5: Egyptian ruler's image and cartouches chisled away.

In ancient coin collecting, there are rarely cases as dramatic as the coin shown above. The usual method of damnatio was to deface the coin in a more simple manner, typically by striking a large scar/gouge across the face of the damned person.

I have one guaranteed damnatio, of Domitian who apparently wasn't the most popular:
    Domitian RPC Caesarea 1687.JPG

I also have another curious coin, which shows the hallmark of the damnatio, but far as I can tell Valentinian was never damned.
    Valentinian I RIC IX Thessalonica 18a t1.JPG
    This could be simple PMD, but the gouge looks rather intentional. I wonder...

Please show off your damned coins!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Numisnewbiest

Numisnewbiest Well-Known Member

Well, this damned coin isn't mine...does that count?

EidMarCoin2 4x3.jpg

galba68, Magnus87, Clavdivs and 6 others like this.
  4. Terence Cheesman

Terence Cheesman Well-Known Member

There is actually a very good book on the subject. Dario Calomino Defacing the Past 81mzzmJtWRL.jpg Covers the subject with numerous illustrations of defaced and countermarked coins, reworked statues and everything else that the Roman could think of to disparage the memory pf someone they want to forget.

5. hotwheelsearl

awesome. i will have to buy that book

akeady likes this.
  6. akeady

akeady Well-Known Member

Coincidentally, I bought that last month - it's currently just £10 from Spink. I actually posted a photo' of it just this minute on the "Favourite Tunes" thread :D

https://spinkbooks.com/products/def...by-calomino-dario?_pos=1&_sid=d93e2175b&_ss=r

I should have included a Damned song or even "The Turkish Song of The Damned", but I didn't.

ATB,
    Aidan.

7. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Cool OP, @hotwheelsearl !

upload_2021-10-17_20-20-36.png
    RI Aemilianus 253 CE AE24 Viminacium mint Moesia Bull-Lion - Damnatio Memoriae

upload_2021-10-17_20-21-27.png
    RI Fausta 325-326 CE AE3 Spes stdg 2 infants SMHA 20mm 3.48g scratch over eye damnatio memoriae by Constantine

8. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Sorry to be a doubter here, but I don't really agree with such an easygoing damnatio classification. For one thing, on your coin the scrape exhibits less patination at its edges suggesting the damage came long after the coin was buried. (Plough scrapes are pretty common.) But even if the patination was uniform, why should we think this was an act of damnatio rather than just random damage?

The Geta erasure you show is clearly intentional damnatio. I've seen a few other coins with multiple scrapes clearly targeting the portrait, or portrait & name, and leaving other parts of the coin alone - those are plausibly damnatios. I'm very doubtful of less obvious cases. :oops:

galba68, Clavdivs, red_spork and 9 others like this.
  9. akeady

akeady Well-Known Member

I have this Domitian which someone hacked at in the distant past. As well as Domitian, they didn't like Moneta:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Domitian Bronze As
    Obv.: IMP CAES DOMIT AVG GERM COS XIII CENS PER P P - Laureate head right
    Rev.: MONETA AVGVSTI / S-C - Moneta standing left, with scales and cornucopiae[​IMG]
    Mint: Rome (87 AD)
    Wt./Size/Axis: 9.50g / 29mm / 6h
    References:
    • RIC 547
    • BMCRE 402
    Acquisition: CGB Online Store 9-Oct-2013

ATB,
    Aidan.

Marsyas Mike, paschka, Shea19 and 9 others like this.
  10. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

The fellow who went to work on this Stratonicaea was abit half-hearted and only scraped off Geta's face rather than the entire bust.

Caracalla - Stratonicaea AE36 Geta Damnatio 2594.jpg
    CARACALLA [with GETA]
    Medallic AE. 17.85g, 36.2mm. CARIA, Stratonicaea, circa AD 209-211. Jason, son of Cleobulus, gramatteus. SNG von Aulock 2686; SNG Cop 512. O: Confronted busts of Caracalla right and [Geta – erased as result of damnatio memoriae] left, both laureate, draped, and cuirassed; c/m: ΘEOY within rectangular incuse, head of Minerva right within circular incuse. R: Hekate standing left holding patera and torch; to left, hound standing left, head right.
    Ex Dr Walter Neussel Collection

Usually they go the whole hog:

Caracalla - Stratonicaea AE38 Geta Damnatio 2510.jpg CARACALLA [with GETA]
    Medallic AE. 28.75g, 38mm. CARIA, STRATONICAEA, circa AD 209-211. Epitynchanontos, prytanis. SNG von Aulock –; SNG Copenhagen –; SNG München –; SNG Tübingen –; cf. CNG 100, lot 1728; for c/m: Howgego 84. O: [AV K M AVP] ANTΩ[NINOC C Λ CЄ ΓЄTA]C K, Confronted busts of [Geta – erased as result of damnatio memoriae] right and Caracalla left, both laureate, draped, and cuirassed; c/m: Bust of Caracalla right within incuse circle. R: ЄΠI ΠPV ЄΠITVNKANONTOC Γ ΦΙΛΩNOC CTPAT[ONIKЄΩN], Hecate standing facing, head left, sacrificing from patera [over altar] and holding torch.

11. hotwheelsearl

@Severus Alexander , you make good points. I feel like a Domitian coin with a damnation is not out of the question. True, the high points of the gouge indicate a later date - but the interior of the gouge appear to have the same patination. My guess is that the coin rattled around in a box of other coins, causing the wear on the high points. When I bought it, it was in a package with a dozen other coins, rattling around.

paschka and Severus Alexander like this.
  12. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

I'm OK with "not out of the question." :D

13. robinjojo

robinjojo Well-Known Member

I feel that this coin could very well be one that falls under the damnatio memoriae category. It is a sestertius, in very rough condition, of Maximinus I Thrax, who I understand was not a terribly likeable guy. In fact, if I am not mistaken, the Roman Senate issued a damnatio memoriae decree, after Maximinus' death of course.

It seems that someone in the distant past spent some time digging into Max's cheek, without the objective of performing plastic surgery. Now, it could be a corroded area, but there are definite gouge marks under the oxide deposits.

I did post this coin before, but I thought it might be useful to post it one more time. In the previous post, someone mentioned that a true defacement would cover the entire portrait. But, as akeady's example shows, that may not always be the case.

Well, here it is again, in all of its stunning beauty.

16.2 grams

D-Camera Maximinus Thrax sestertius 235-36AD possible damnatio memoriae 16.2 grams 3-10-21.jpg

14. Tejas

Tejas Well-Known Member

I'm no expert, but I would have expected a disfiguration of the emperor's face or a clear cut across his neck if it was a deliberate act of damnatio, not just a scrape or scuff across the cheek.

15. ambr0zie

ambr0zie Dacian Taraboste

16. Orange Julius

Orange Julius Well-Known Member

Coins are defaced for lots of reasons. Most times this damage is just from simple boredom, use as something besides a coin, or just damage from living a rough life. I don’t think anyone had anything against Faustina II here but I would like to know what this damage was all about.
    B2127DEB-8479-46EB-A492-A084728996F1.png

17. Tejas

Tejas Well-Known Member

Very true. Coins were sometimes used as gaming tokens, weights, jewellery, raw material sources and others. These secondary uses could have left all kinds of marks on a coin.

Severus Alexander and dougsmit like this.
  18. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Ground rules:
    1. If there are two answers to a question, the correct one is not the one you would prefer. To be Damnatio, you can not possibly see how any other explanation of the damage could be true.

2. When ID is uncertain, a coin is worth a fraction of a certainly IDed example of the cheapest choice. A coin with a 1 in 10 chance of being rare is NOT worth even 1/1000 of a certain example. There are many slugs that can not be identified other than 'probably late Roman'. That does not qualify a coin as possibly rare.

Orielensis likes this.
  19. Orielensis

Orielensis Well-Known Member

Ditto. Damnatio memoriae was an official process set in motion to planfully expunge someone from public memory. Mere damage done to imperial portraits because of discontent, boredom, testing-how-sharp-your-knife-is, and other reasons does not indicate a damnatio. Apart from the Geta example in the original post, the only coins in this thread that I would assume to have been defaced in the process of a damnatio memoriae are the two examples shown by @zumbly.

This, for example, appears to be purposeful ancient damage but was not done because of a damnatio memoriae. Somebody with a sharp instrument was just angry, had too much time on their hands, or made a really botched attempt at the ancient equivalent of a hobo nickel:
    Rom – Antoninus Pius, denarius, Altar, antike Beschädigungen.png
    Antoninus Pius, Roman Empire, denarius, 145–161 AD, Rome mint. Obv: ANTONINVS AVG PIVS PP, laureate head of Antoninus Pius r. (purposefully damaged in antiquity). Rev: COS IIII, thunderbolt on altar. 16.5mm, 4.02g. RIC III Antoninus Pius 137.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
  20. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

:eek::(

Who would do that to Faustina the Younger???

21. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

I think in most cases these are incidental scratches. The more obvious intentional examples have the portrait scrubbed away. Must have been a lot of work for someone, scratching out faces on piles of coins.

paschka and Severus Alexander like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted