Damnatio Memoriae

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Gary R. Wilson, Jan 18, 2019.

1. Gary R. Wilson

Gary R. Wilson ODERINT, DUM METUANT — CALIGULA

Hello all. I just recently won this coin of Caligula which has suffered 'damnatio memoriae'. When I first saw the coin I thought Wow, nice reverse but too bad about the marks on the portrait. And then I took a closer look and realized to my delight that they were damnatio memoriae marks. In my former collection, I had many Caligula coins that had such marks and erasure of the 'C' in Caligula's name. Joe Geranio featured them in his 'Damnatio Memoriae' story on Forum. These marks on the current coin were of particular interest to me due to the fact of where they are located on the portrait. The ancient sources concerning Caligula's assassination mention that the first sword or dagger blows were to the jaw or neck/shoulder area. This is precisely where the marks on this coin are placed. Coincidence? Maybe, we'll never know for sure. This is just one of the many mysteries concerning ancient coinage that fascinates me and keeps me wanting to keep looking and looking. Please post any 'damnatio memoriae' coins.

Gaius Caligula - Æ As, c.37-38 AD.- Vesta.jpg Gaius Caligula - Æ As, c.37-38 AD.- Vesta 2.jpg

Ruler: Caligula (Augustus)
    Coin: VF+ Bronze AS
    C CAESAR AVG GERMANICVS PON M TR POT - Bare head left
    Vesta SC - Vesta, veiled and draped, seated left, on throne with ornamented back and legs, holding patera in right hand and long transverse sceptre in left
    Exergue:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Mint: Rome (37-38 AD)
    Wt./Size/Axis: 10.40g / 28mm / 6h
    References:
    • RIC I 38
    • BMCRE 46
    • BN 54
    • Cohen 27
    Acquisition/Sale: indalocolecciones eBay $0.00 01/19

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I'm curious. What makes these marks intentional rather than a random flaw or shovel mark?

Volodya, ominus1, dougsmit and 3 others like this.
  4. Gary R. Wilson

Gary R. Wilson ODERINT, DUM METUANT — CALIGULA

Hi Bing, I feel that the curvature of the marks eliminates the marks coming from a shovel and the placement of the marks being just on the portrait and no where else lends me to believe them to be damnatio marks.Of course the marks could be a natural flaw in the coin but I doubt it with the reverse suffering no such marks. Another mystery of ancient coins having been buried for centuries.

5. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

I viewed this thread earlier but it looked like to me it was patina issues.

An OK coin either way.

6. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I'm having trouble imagining what I see as damnatio defacement but regardless of that it is an above average Caligula/Vesta!

7. jamesicus

jamesicus Well-Known Member

I learned to stop worrying and love the coins I own.

I do like Caligula coins Gary and, in my opinion, that is a nice one. As to the damnatio marks you perceive on the obverse - I would keep on believing your perception - it is going to be hard to disprove it. Who cares anyway? just enjoy this great historical artifact.

Orfew likes this.
  8. Suarez

Suarez Well-Known Member

I'll add my name to the skeptics. Damnatio memoriae were imperial decrees carried out by, or at least at the behest of, government officials. Things like pulling down statues and defacing monuments, etc. There would be literally no point in defacing coins you intend to use and run the risk of not having them be accepted in trade on account that they're defaced!

Really, what does the average guy on the street care whose face is on the coin and whether his memory was or wasn't officially damned?

9. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Still, kinda cool to POSSIBLY have a Damnatio Memoriae... perhaps not OFFICIALLY done to a coin, but someone in the population may had scratched their eyes or neck on a coin as their contribution to a Damnatio order.

However, PERSONNALLY, looking at the OP pics, I do not see a damnatio style scratch. IMHO, I see it as patina flaws...

upload_2019-1-19_20-5-7.png
    RI Fausta 325-326 CE AE3 Spes stdg 2 infants SMHA 20mm 3.48g scratch over eye damnatio memoriae by Constantine

RI Aemilianus 253 CE AE24 Viminacium mint Moesia Bull-Lion - Damnatio Memoriae.jpg
    RI Aemilianus 253 CE AE24 Viminacium mint Moesia Bull-Lion - Damnatio Memoriae
    Scratch over eye and neck

I am in @jamesicus camp on this...

Johndakerftw and TIF like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted