Damnatio Memoriae at the British Museum

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Carthago, Oct 16, 2016.

1. Carthago

Carthago Does this look infected to you?

I was in London this week and the British Museum just put up an interesting mini exhibit at the entrance of the Coins and Medals department on damnatio memoriae in history including up to current times. Most of the exhibits were money related, including many from the Romans. Here are a few crummy pics; the lighting was really challenging.

As you can really see from the Domitian/Domitia and Caracalla/Geta, damnatio was a lot more than just an X through the portrait.

Anyone have some examples of damnatio memoriae to share?

IMG_0371.jpg IMG_0373.jpg IMG_0374.jpg IMG_0375.jpg IMG_0378.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Way cool, and thanks for the pics @Carthago ... I was able to read them.

I only have one that you could say is a Damnatio Memoriae... Kinda brutal as it was a very pragmatic mutilation!

upload_2016-10-16_14-8-4.png
    Roman Imperial
    Fausta 325-326 CE
    AE3, 19.9mm, 3.48 g
    Obv: FLAV MAX - FAVSTA AVG; Draped bust right
    Rev: SPES REIP-VBLICAE; Spes standing facing, head left, cradling two infants in her arms, SMHA in exergue
    Ref: RIC VII 80 Heraclea
    Comments: This example has a carefully created scratch over the eye made in antiquity which could represent a damnatio memoriae after her execution by Constantine in 326 CE.

4. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Great pics, would love to see that in-person one day.

5. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Thanks Carthago great pics, what did you think of the rest of the coin collection in the museum and related artifacts?

6. Dionysos

Dionysos Well-Known Member

Some of you will recognise this one, it was posted on Frederic Weber forum some years ago. According to the story, the left one was found in Aquileia, where Maximinus and his son were killed by their soldiers after an unsuccessfull siege... "Their heads were cut off, placed on poles, and carried to Rome by cavalrymen" (Wikipedia)...

[​IMG]

7. Alegandron

LOL, HOLY COW! Where did you find yours? (I assume yours is on the right.)

Mikey Zee and Carthago like this.
  8. Dionysos

Dionysos Well-Known Member

None of them are mine, but I'm always looking for a chance to post this pic/story :happy:

Fascinating imo !

9. Carthago

Well the British Museum IMHO is the best history museum in the world. The exhibits are 1st rate, the artifacts one of a kind, and the scale amazing.

The coins on display don't remotely do the collection justice. There is one room dedicated to money and only a portion of that is ancients. There are other ancient coins spread throughout the ancient artifact areas as supporting items to the overall display but you have to hunt for them. Still, it's amazing.

I, however, made an appointment a few months ago and spent nearly 4 hours in the Coins and Medals study room going though trays of the BM's Roman Republicans under the watchful eye of BM staff. I handled several EID MAR's, multiple examples of Labienus, very rare aurei of Brutus, Marc Antony, Pompey Jr., etc. Yes, that rocked!!

10. Alegandron

Niiiiice, Duuude! Wow.

Theodosius and Carthago like this.
  11. Ancient Aussie

I am very interested as holidaying in British Isles next July, and can't wait to go to the museum. Glad you enjoyed it, is it necessary to make an appointment to see the coins?

12. Carthago

Yes, if you want to view the collection directly. You need to contact the coins and medals department directly and fill out an application as well as specify the particular coins you want to see using their catalogue numbers. They may require references and I've found the scheduling to be difficult in the past due to them being booked, closed, etc. I've tried doing this a few times on other trips but without success. Once the reservations were finally secured, the BM staff were an absolute delight and very gracious hosts. If this is a priority to you and your travel schedule is flexible, I would suggest finding a time you can book the BM first then schedule your trip next.

Otherwise, visiting the museum is free and open 7 days a week. Set aside the good part of a day. At least. It's HUGE!

http://www.britishmuseum.org/research/study_rooms.aspx

TIF, Alegandron and Ancient Aussie like this.
  13. Ancient Aussie

Thanks for the info. I am looking forward to it.

14. Carthago

A couple more photos, this time of the British Museum map. Room 68 on the 2nd floor is the money room. Very nice exhibit on the history of money. The bottom picture is room 68 about 10 minutes after the museum opened. The time to visit.

IMG_0370.jpg IMG_0369.jpg IMG_0221.jpg

15. Ancient Aussie

Thanks for the heads up, I appreciate it.

Draft saved Draft deleted