Damaged wheatie

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Bryan Dillard, Jul 31, 2020.

1. Bryan Dillard

Bryan Dillard Active Member

Can anyone identify what caused this damage there are 1's, 5's a a letter J

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Looks like it went through a mechanical impression device. Could be many things, leather softener, etc.

4. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

It is Post Mint Damage, so what ever caused the damage really doesn't matter and is pure speculation. Just know, the coin did not leave the mint in this condition.
    Welcome to CT. Note that when you post future coins for opinions, we like photos of the reverse and the obverse.

5. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I doubt there is anyone on here doubting PMD. I thought it was fair enough to ask if anyone may recognize the pattern of damage on the coin. I have seen machines than you run newly tanned leather through that make similar marks. Tough machines, (tough leather), and it MAY be the cause here. Of course, many machines do similar things, such as wire length counters, etc.

Robert Ransom likes this.
  6. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

Oh. Not being snarky, but 'Anyone see this before', would have alerted me there was a question. My bad.

7. Bryan Dillard

No offence taken here any suggestions as to how to navigate and post on the forums is most appreciated.

8. Bryan Dillard

I will remember to post obverse and reverse pics, this is the reverse of the damaged coin

Attached Files:

9. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Definitely damaged and I have no ideas what caused this damage.

Welcome to CT.

10. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

Post as you have already done in Introductions and here in this section, at the bottom of your written text you will see the Upload a file button, click this, choose your image from your saved data files and when uploaded click on full image. This will allow members to see an enlarged image of your coin and give a more detailed reply if necessary

11. Bryan Dillard

Thank You

expat likes this.
  12. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

You are welcome

Draft saved Draft deleted