Damaged coins.

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Chip Kirkpatrick, Sep 15, 2019.

  1. Chip Kirkpatrick

    Chip Kirkpatrick Well-Known Member

    I have a bunch of damaged US coins. Beat up, bent and torn up by lawnmowers. Zincolns pitted up beyond belief.

    So what is the process of exchanging these with the Federal Reserve? Anybody done it?
  2. Avatar

    Guest User Guest

    to hide this ad.
  3. Zach1983

    Zach1983 Active Member

    Put them in a roll and swap them out at the bank
  4. PlanoSteve

    PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

    Don't know how much a "bunch" is, but if there's enough to roll, as @Zach1983 said, roll 'em & take to your bank. If not enough to roll, deposit them in your bank anyway. They have ways to administer them.

    I once had a note that I ran over with my lawnmower. Collected all 30 or so pieces, scotch taped them back together & exchanged it a my bank, no questions asked. (It happened 20+ yrs ago; I think it was a $10)
    Zach1983 likes this.
  5. Chip Kirkpatrick

    Chip Kirkpatrick Well-Known Member

    I don’t want to dump them on somebody else. Doesn’t seem right. The banks have refused them but referred me to the Fed but gave no information on the process.

    I haven’t counted but it’s between $50 and $100. Enough to be worth the effort.
  6. Santinidollar

    Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

    If they go the Fed, I believe they will be pulled out of circulation
  7. Burton Strauss III

    Burton Strauss III Supporter! Supporter

    Used to be able to send and mutilated coins in at least one pound lot separated by type. Due to fraud the fed has suspended the program several times...
  8. Zach1983

    Zach1983 Active Member

    Mail them to me, I'll take care of them for you
Draft saved Draft deleted

Share This Page