DAMAGED COINS

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Chip Kirkpatrick, Feb 12, 2019.

1. Chip Kirkpatrick

Chip Kirkpatrick Well-Known Member

Ok I have over $100 worth of damaged coins found while metal detecting. Those hit by lawnmowers, intentionally damaged or changed and of course the “ stinking’ Lincoln’s “ with their propensity to pit and deteriorate.

So what can be done with them ( besides lining the driveway with them) with regards to cashing them with the Federal Reserve? I’ve been told the FE will only give scrap value for them and I’ve been told they will exchange for equal value, like they do for damaged paper currency.

I’ve looked at their web site and it doesn’t help a bit. Anybody know?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I don't know. I've personally found only one use for that stuff that's too damaged to roll up or put in the CoinStar machine:

[​IMG]

Of course it's not cost-effective to send the stuff in if you've just got small quantities, as has usually been the case with my own detecting finds, but since you say you have $100+ ... maybe. Unfortunately I don't know the answer to your question about where and how to redeem them, of if in fact you really can.

4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

No.. Forget it

The symbol for Copper is actually CU.. Not FE

LaCointessa likes this.
  5. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

sneak them into other rolls and deposit them to your bank.
    That's what I do

paddyman98 and Oldhoopster like this.
  6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Your local bank should take them as long as they can be recognized. Otherwise hammer the bent ones flat and roll them.

7. TylerH

TylerH Well-Known Member

Go to a craft store and buy some clear resin, then make a paper weight out of them. Useful and a fun reminder

8. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

The US Mint has a program for redeeming damaged/mutilated coins. They had to suspend it for a couple years because the Chinese counterfeiters were abusing the program by making fake half dollars, mutilating them and then getting the Mint to redeem them for face value. But the program was reinstated last year. Here is where you go to get information about the rules and how to go about redeeming the coins.

https://www.usmint.gov/news/consumer-alerts/mutilated-coin-program

4 posts to go

9. Josephjay

Josephjay New Member

not sure that the program is active at this time-only see that it was halted. Would have to call mint to verify. Also need 1 lb minimum per denomination to be accepted. That's a lot of toasted dimes lol

10. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

$20 worth. (All the clad dimes, quarters, halves and clad Ike dollars are all $20 to 1 lb weight.)

Draft saved Draft deleted