Damaged box

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by swick, Oct 10, 2007.

1. swick

swick New Member

I got my Uncirculated Silver Eagles (2) in the mail yesterday. The coins look great, but one of the boxes is damaged. Do you think that I should return the coin to the US Mint and get another? The box is not ripped, just a little bit crushed near one end. The box isn't real bad, just noticeable....if that's a word?!? LOL Any opinions? Thanks to ALL!!

swick

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. USS656

USS656 Here to Learn Supporter

Swick,

I would send it back for a replacement. You paid for a nice display case - it should not be damaged!

It'll take a few weeks to get the replacement and then you will have what you paid for!

Call the mint customer service and ask questions if you want to be thoroughly confused! :rolling:

Good Luck

Darryl

4. swick

swick New Member

LOL......Thanks Darryl!! If I call the Mint, will I get a real person, or a computer voice? LOL OR....a typical Government official who doesn't know what he/she is talking about? Thanks again!

swick

5. andrew289

andrew289 Senior Analyst

It's a box ..let it go.
    Personally, I pay for nice coins not display cases. As long as the coin is in good shape, who cares about the box.

6. line_grade

line_grade Member

Keep the good one and send the damaged one back. The quality control at the mint seems to have been all but absent this year regarding all their products and whoever they have out-sourced their shipping to cares even less. This particular coin is a collectible item and the packaging, C.O.A. and coin itself are all part of the total package. If you plan on keeping this coin in the packaging instead of removing it and putting it in a collectors album by all means have it replaced.

7. vwap

vwap New Member

Agreed. If you bought it from the mint, you bought it for a bit of a premium - part of the added cost being packaging and such. Swap it.

If all you wanted was the coin to throw in an album, there are plenty of other places to buy it. (I bought mine for something like $14.50, just the coin, no packaging.)

8. USS656

USS656 Here to Learn Supporter

Because if he ever goes to sell it having all of the original packaging in good condition can add value to a potential buyer. To some - it may mean nothing - to others it does - so why not get what you payed for? I bet if you took a survey of how many people keep their packaging and how many throw it away - more would say they save it.

9. invictus

invictus Senior Member

If he ever sells it, he'll probably suffer a lower price.

10. elaine 1970

elaine 1970 material girl

boxes

take good of the boxes as well as everything original on it. like certification. i won't buy set with missing things and dirty boxes. that is why 99.99% of my coins came directly from the u.s. mint.

11. Aberlight

Aberlight New Member

Don't let it go. Thats just an arrogant statement.

If are the slightest bit upset about the damaged box, which I assume you are call and see about a replacement. Odds are that you will have to return both the coin and box for a refund. An alternative would be to see if someone has an empty box on Ebay which you may be able to pick up for less than the cost of return shipping.

Here is a empty box. I am sure more will appear.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/2007-W-U-S-MINT-BOX-FOR-UNC-SILVER-EAGLE-NO-COIN-Z7F_W0QQitemZ150169360541QQihZ005QQcategoryZ39488QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

12. Shortgapbob

Shortgapbob Emerging Numismatist

Many dealers who buy moderns will discount them if the boxes are missing or damaged. So the box does certainly impact the value.

13. andrew289

andrew289 Senior Analyst

lol...arrogant statement ...cough, cough ...pot ...kettle ...black...lol.

I buy a lot of mint sets and proof silver eagles and never once has a seller said ..well the coin is perfect but since the box has a dent in it, I'll give you $2.00 off and I've never said to a vendor ...i really like this set of green box mint sets but I notice the boxes are a little rough ...do you give a discount for that? He would laugh in my face.

That's rediculous.

Sure, most of the old timers here will say sure ..mint packaging need to be mint...but most of the guys at the shows couldn't really care.

Whats the spot price on a carboard box?

Buy the coin not the box.

Also, it's a risk these days sending anything back to the mint. What if they stop production on the silver eagles, like they have the gold and platinum...wouldn't you feel silly returning and not getting a replacement because of a crease in the cardboard?

It's a personal choice.

14. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

I disagree, I pay prenium for the original box and COA if they exist. If not, I always have the choice of not buying them in the first place. It might not matter to you but it does matter to others.

15. elaine 1970

my advise

buy only with complete original things that come with it. without them is a garbage. specially the next generation where we can easily buy new coins from the mint and with complete on it. we have to take good care of those stuffs as we take care of the coins. why we have to buy coins from those who don't take care of it. there are not really a collector. a collector will always appreciate everything. don't listen to your dealers. because they always and only count the coins. but when you need the box, etc. they charge you extra high.

16. Lemmyk

Lemmyk Senior Member

Elaine, I ordered three and one was damaged, a little while back you had this pearl of wisdom for me below. You basically said it was my fault because I didn't order enough?!? "commom sense" Maybe they should arrive safely even if someone orders one and that is all they can afford?

:goofer:

17. elaine 1970

not really you fault

i said post office are using automation now. light box might be damaged due to fast processing thru machinery. dent, damaged are so common when delivered by post office.

18. andrew289

andrew289 Senior Analyst

Duh ...that's why I said "It's a personal choice"
    If you choose to pay more for paper ...that is your perogative.
    Personally, (i.e. my personal choice) is not to.

No right and no wrong answer ...you choice is no more "arrogant" than mine.

Cool.

19. elaine 1970

to andrew 289

it is good to trade with you. you sell to me without or imcomplete coa and box, sleeves or other papers. dirty box or scractches. then i am not going to buy from you. but if i sell somethings to you without those things and basically you only based on the coins. and you like it. then you might buy from me. so, the benifit is still on me.

20. Philly Dog

Philly Dog Coin Collector

Look at the proof sets from the 50's and 60's the envelopes most are damaged it's the coin that counts, and the COA is second

But if it is something that is going to drive you nuts send it back.;)

21. elaine 1970

no way jose

now we are in a modern world. you can buy or get anything from the stores to protect everything. that's mean your coins, boxes, coa and so forth. unlike before. you have the money and you can not get it. or simple you don't know where to get it. also now we have so many knowledge to protect it. why you would like to buy the modern coins only. old, antique coins is find. but now new one.

Draft saved Draft deleted