DAJ9382 Collection Presents - Morgan Dollar Super Set.

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Blackhawk1-1CAV, May 31, 2015.

1. Blackhawk1-1CAV

Blackhawk1-1CAV Active Member

I finally came to the conclusion that I needed to make a list; so I could have an idea of what I wanted my Morgan collection to look like. First, I had to decide how much I was willing to pay for one coin. This became my condition census for each date and mint mark. Afterwards, I looked at the VAM's. Obviously, I could not have the top grade I could afford for one date across the board! So needless to say, each VAM will very significantly. I also try to get the best struck coins I can find; as well as overall appearance. I also tend to lean towards nicely toned examples. Hope you enjoy following the growth of this collection :)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Blackhawk1-1CAV

I wanted an 1878 8TF example in MS65; so I found this example already graded, and purchased it. I identified it as a VAM 21, and sent it in for attribution, true view and pedigree on the label. TrueView_30746947_Large.jpg

4. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

She is an absolute beauty!!

swamp yankee and Blackhawk1-1CAV like this.
  5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

The only problem is that PCGS does not attribute the VAM-21. I do know that they attribute the Top 100, Hot 50 and Hit List 40. I'm not sure about the Elite Clashes, but most of the others for all dates & mintmarks are not attributed. It might be a good idea to check with PCGS for the specifics.

By the way, that's a pretty 8TF!

Chris

6. Blackhawk1-1CAV

Hey Chris! How you been? PCGS recognizes all 8TF Vams. I just received this one back in the mail. I will post a pic of the holder here.

swamp yankee likes this.
  7. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

This will work too, just to show that they did attribute it.

http://www.pcgs.com/cert/30746947

swamp yankee likes this.
  8. Blackhawk1-1CAV

Holder. DAJ9382 was my battle roster in 2nd Brigade, 1st Infantry Division. 1475.jpg 1476.jpg

Jwt708 likes this.
  9. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I'm doing fine except that old age sucks. I'm supposed to know that about the 8TF's. Geesh!

Chris

10. Blackhawk1-1CAV

Like the 1878 8 tail feather; I wanted an 1878 Carson City example in MS65. This is what I picked. TrueView_25231925_Large.jpg

11. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

@Blackhawk1-1CAV , you certainly are picking some beautiful Morgans! That '78 CC must have cost you some $$$! Are you planning a set of toners? I mix in toners with DPL's and other white coins. I pick them one at a time.

12. Blackhawk1-1CAV

Thank you! I don't think I can manage an all toner super set. There are 330 coins in this set. Here is an example of how I shop.......At the moment, I am looking for a 1904 O in MS66-MS66+. Strike and eye appeal, is the first thing I'm looking for. If I find two that have that, and one is nicely toned; I will take the toner over the white one. I found a nice white one, but the price is stupid ridiculous, so I keep searching. I look at as many coins as I can find, and take my time before I pick one. Sometimes, I'm lucky and I find the perfect Morgan, right away.

Hommer and JPeace$ like this.
  13. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Excellent strategy! I'm just curious - are you going to beholder all of them to show they're part of your collection?

Blackhawk1-1CAV likes this.
  14. Blackhawk1-1CAV

Yes. Every coin in this set will have my pedigree, true view and variety if applicable.

Jwt708 and Hommer like this.
  15. Blackhawk1-1CAV

1900 New Orleans MS66. Got the best struck one, I could find. I love the toning and over all appearance of this coin.
    TrueView_13795203_Large-1.jpg

16. Blackhawk1-1CAV

MS64 1900 O/CC VAM 8. This coin is absolutely gorgeous! TrueView_14513400_Large.jpg

17. Blackhawk1-1CAV

MS66 1901 New Orleans. I'm sure better strikes exist, but I like the appearance of this coin. Hard to find deep strike detail on many of these New Orleans issues. TrueView_25232875_Large.jpg

18. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Some fine Morgans here Blackhawk.

Blackhawk1-1CAV likes this.
  19. Blackhawk1-1CAV

Thank you. I will post em' as fast as I can buy, and send them in.

20. Blackhawk1-1CAV

MS64 1921 Denver VAM 1N Unicorn. I liked this one, and didn't think I would ever get a shot at an MS65; since there are so few of them out there. TrueView_18429757_Large.jpg

21. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Did you submit it raw?

swamp yankee likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted