Dacian Imitations of Republican Denarii

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Volodya, Oct 27, 2016.

1. Volodya

Volodya Junior Member

Well, a mere eight years after publication, I finally got around to posting my initial imitations paper on Academia.edu: https://www.academia.edu/29448651/Dacian_Imitations_of_Roman_Republican_Denarii. This appeared in 2006 (no sense rushing into things!) in Vol. XLIII of the venerable Romanian journal Apvlvm.

You'll need to register on Academia.edu to access it, but the process is free and simple.

Phil Davis

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Carausius

Carausius Brother, can you spare a sestertius?

I downloaded it yesterday. Thanks for posting it there.

Volodya likes this.
  4. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

Thanks for posting! I think all of us who collect these coins and don't speak Romanian owe you a great deal of gratitude for your articles and website on this series.

Volodya likes this.
  5. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

Interesting paper. The imitations looked enough like Roman Coins to say they were modeled after them, but did not look like them! One of my wish list items is an imitation that is modeled after a coin (any coin) in my collection.
    I like the winged horse on #102!

Volodya and red_spork like this.
  6. Volodya

Volodya Junior Member

Carthago, Carausius and red_spork like this.
  7. Volodya

Volodya Junior Member

A bit of backstory for the coin discussed here: When I sold my imitations collection, RBW agreed on my insistence to buy this important piece, with the understanding that it would eventually be bequeathed to the ANS. I didn't want this to be lost from public view. I was more than a little perturbed when it ended up in a CNG esale after Rick's death. (For the record, this wasn't at all the "fault" of CNG; they had no way to know that this coin was supposed to receive special treatment.) If I absolutely had to, I was prepared to buy it myself and donate it to the ANS, but it would really have irked me to purchase my own coin a second time. Fortunately that wasn't necessary. After a frenzied round of emails between me, the ANS, the numismatic executors of Rick's estate and prospective bidders, Rick's heirs graciously agreed that the coin would be withdrawn from the CNG sale. The ANS duly purchased it for the amount Rick paid in Gemini; it will presumably remain in the ANS collection for ever and ever.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
    Carthago, Alegandron and Carausius like this.
  8. Carausius

Carausius Brother, can you spare a sestertius?

Well done! I assumed CNG only got the stuff the ANS didn't want. I say that because two coins I bought in the CNG eSale came with RBW envelopes noting "ANS has".

Volodya likes this.
  9. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

I've got a few with similar notations. I think they're all from NAC 61 & 63 though. I have many more of his duplicates from other sales that don't have that noted on them.

Volodya likes this.
  10. Volodya

Volodya Junior Member

I only know for sure regarding the imitations. Rick's verbal instructions to the executors--never written down--regarding his imitations was that anything in his handwritten envelopes should go to the ANS. That was done. His general instructions were that anything--not just imitations--not specifically bequeathed should be sold for the benefit of the estate. I'm pretty sure that his intentions were to add all my imitations to his formal collection; certainly, Rick knew that I was concerned over the future of this coin and also one particular group lot. He would never have deliberately misled me here--no chance--but unfortunately his health took a big turn for the worse after the Gemini sale. He subsequently rallied nicely, but was pretty heavily medicated for the remainder of his life. Obviously it's understandable if writing little white envelopes for obscure ancient coins wasn't really his highest priority.

Carthago and Carausius like this.
  11. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Thank you for your sharing the Papers. I sincerely appreciate them.

Volodya likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted