D over S 1944 lincoln?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Wesley Samborski, Feb 17, 2021.

?

Is this the D over S penny?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

100.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Cant tell weather or not this is the 1944 d over s. Opinions needed! Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Not possible in any Natural situation . Different Mints and I don't mean Breath mints either . :rolleyes:

Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
    capthank likes this.
  4. SensibleSal66

edited.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
  5. SensibleSal66

capthank, Sley and mike estes like this.
  6. SensibleSal66

Here's the 194 D/S up close an personal which doesn't match yours .
    38396706_176991950_800x800.jpg

mike estes likes this.
  7. You shou
    Thanks. some are harder to tell, considering damage, which is why i posted.

8. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I was just about to tell you that there is one ;)

9. SensibleSal66

Thanks my friend !! Will take notations when secretary wakes up . Still sleeping . Shhhh . Dreaming.jpg

1stSgt22, Cliff Reuter and paddyman98 like this.
  10. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

Please do not show coins 90, 180 or 270 degrees from normal position. I, and others will mot address your issue.

Mountain Man and Mac McDonald like this.
  11. mike estes

mike estes Well-Known Member

hey Wesley Samborski welcome to CT. SensibleSal66 posted the PCGS website page that showed the 1944-D/S regular strike wheat penny. it goes a little further and shows the Brown, Red and Brown and Red condition versions of that coin. you can really match up your coin on that site .good luck

12. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Does anyone have the explanation on where and how this happened? This was 1944, now, when I think the Philly mint was producing these for the branch mints, both the master dies, as well as punching in the mint marks. I don't even think PCGS knows. If they did, they flew right by the question in the link. I think it's an interesting question.

Robert Ransom likes this.
  13. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

14. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Quite possible, and quite popular! This article goes in depth: https://www.doubleddie.com/58243.html

The basic cause is: mintmarks were applied when the die was made, in Philadelphia. Dies were then shipped to the branch mints. If a die was given one mintmark, but then that mint didn't need the dies, they would be re-allocated to another mint. This was the source of the very popular 1900 O over CC Morgan dollar. The mint would try to erase the old mintmark, of course, but it wasn't always perfect.

Oldhoopster likes this.
  15. Robert Ransom

I recall reading an article, a while ago, which indicated dies destined for SF were repunched and sent to D, due to a shortage at that mint.

16. Haha yes master

Robert Ransom likes this.
  17. I really appreciate the respect given and great info you gave me. Got all the PCSG apps now. This is what pushes people to keep collecting coins. Thanks!

1stSgt22 likes this.
  18. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Yeah, like I said, I'm pretty sure it happened at the Philly mint. The marks are on the hubs, now. But that's probably why it happened, they repurposed the die for the other mint instead of punching the mark out on a fresh die.

19. Robert Ransom

My reason is simple. I use a computer and usually have other devices connected, so tilting the PC is not an easy maneuver plus, I prefer to see objects in there proper plane. :)

Cliff Reuter likes this.
  20. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Plus, my neck is stiff enough...

Draft saved Draft deleted