D Mint marks used on 1964 on the Washington Quarter

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by dog_pound, May 6, 2016.

1. dog_pound

dog_pound Supporter! Supporter

Could some supply a link or thread on how many different D mint marks were used on the Washington Quarter in 1964, I am having a difficult time researching some questions I have. Thanks in advance

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

Do you mean the shape of the MM or the placement of them? With over 704 million D quarters minted you would have to take in to account how many different reverse dies would have been used for the entire production run.
    If you mean something else when you say "different D mint marks, then disregard the above - :)

4. New Windsor Bill

New Windsor Bill Well-Known Member

I have the latest edition of the Mega Red Book which lists many varietys of all US. coins and there is no mention of different Denver mintmarks for the 1964 quarter in this book.

5. dog_pound

sorry, yes of course that makes sense. I specifically mean MM shape not placement.

6. dog_pound

for instance I have 1 with a very crisp and clear MM and some that are very filled/mushy (not PMD I m tacking that into account) 1 or 2 that appear either rotated or RPM and several that look like MD on only the MM. So I am a little overwhelmed on the Quarter. I am just now starting to get a little more into Quarters and am out of my comfort zone

7. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

It probably is PMD. If the die was disfigured or misshaped, there should be several others out here with the same condition. Those machines run at a rapid pace and almost always, several pieces make it out in circulation. 52 years later, several should have surfaced. If it happens to be just one strike with no records of another, only a TPG could authenticate it.

8. Markus1959

Filled or mushy mintmarks and even some MD on the D could be from worn dies and not a variation. With that many coins minted it would be almost impossible to find any info on that subject.

9. Markus1959

True - most "filled" MMs are from hits in circulation and not a die chip/break.

10. dog_pound

Thank you, it most probably PMD and worn dies and MD. After really looking I am only up on the air on two I have.

Draft saved Draft deleted