D. Eisenhower 1776-1976 Half dollar

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by nccoop, Apr 22, 2011.

1. nccoop

nccoop New Member

I found one of these while searching a box of halfs. I looked on Ebay for a 1776-1976
    D. Eisenhower Half dollar and couldn't find any. Is this a rare coin?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

If you found an Ike half dollar, you should submit it to NGC or PCGS immediately and then put it on eBay with a $10K BIN.

Kennedy is on the half dollar. Ike is on the dollar.

Chris

4. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

Not rare by any means with one of the highest mintages out of all the IKE Dollars. They are typically referred to as the BiCentennial Coins and were produced with two different designs both obverse and reverse (Front and Back).
    Mostly the design differences are the lettering "styles" and on the reverse, some of the lettering positioning.

On the obverse, the differences are very slight but the reverse has eye visible lettering differences.

The first reverse variety (Type 1 produced in 1975) had broad, flat lettering which has no serifs. (Serifs are the semi-structural details on the ends of some of the strokes that make up letters and symbols.)

[​IMG]

On the second reverse type (Type 2 produced in 1976) had a slightly narrower lettering style which had serifs.

[​IMG]

Some speculated that the lettering style was changed as it was felt that flat lettering would wear off the coin more quickly than the higher relief lettering used on the Type 2 Reverse. I guess they weren't paying attention to the fact that these coins simply were not circulating and as such, it just didn't make that much of a difference.

In addition to the lettering style, the letter positioning was different from the two reverse designs. Specifically with the wording E PLURIBUS UNUM.

[​IMG]

The coins were hugely popular amongst all generations since they were the direct product of the BiCentennial Celebration of our country over a two year period of time. As such, many, many folks hoarded rolls away in the hopes that someday they would be worth hundreds of dollars each. Unfortunately, so many folks hoarded them that literally millions were socked away and finding nice high grade examples is a relatively easy task as the coins are readily available. Some can even be obtained at banks for face value as folks turn them in during these tough economic times. Most coin dealers don't bother with them and only offer face value when purchasing them from walk in customers. Nice examples can be had for a couple of bucks.

For the Eisenhower Dollar, the key is in finding coins which grade MS66 or higher. Due to the hardness of the copper-nickel compositition, clean, high relief strikes were far and few between. Of all the millions produced, only a scant handfull have ever graded MS67 and 0 have graded an MS68. As such, MS67 coins command a very HEFTY premium.
    MS66 BiCentennial coins can be obtained for $100 or less depending upon Variety and mintmark (Denver or Philadelphia).

If you get a chance, you might want to coinsider posting a clear photo of your coin for some grading opinions.

5. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

Good catch.

6. cpm9ball

Yeah, but it's like catching a 20 lb. snook when the season is closed.

Chris

7. nccoop

nccoop New Member

1776-1976 D. Eisenhower half dollar

I found one of these searching a box of halfs. This isn't a dollar. D. Eisenhower is directly below the neck and right above the date. I'll be putting up a pic of it soon. Has anyone ever seen one of these???

Attached Files:

8. proofartoncircs

proofartoncircs Junior Member

Come on you Ike experts. Did you check for a peg leg? THat is the shortest fully non-peg leg R that I ever did see. That coin is not real. It is a sloppy private issue.

9. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

Looks fake to me. A genuine Bicentennial Ike does not have 'D. Eisenhower' above the date. And the motto 'IN GOD WE TRUST' is missing in the field to the left of the date. Also the shape of Ike's mouth, eye and ear don't look right.

Can you post a good photo of the reverse?

10. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

It is some type of fake or fantasy. Everything about it is wrong.

11. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

As mentioned on the US coins forum, it is a fake/fantasy.

12. cpm9ball

The US Mint never produced anything like this, but it is a real Eisenhower medal produced by some private mint. The only thing that doesn't make sense is why they would put his bust on a bicentennial medal. He wasn't even in office at the time. Maybe this private mint struck one for every US President.

Chris

13. nccoop

nccoop New Member

This coin is not a normal IKE Bicentennial, I know that, that's why I asked. First off, it is on a half dollar size coin. The 'In God We Trust' is on the back. I will post a picture of the back. It could be a fake, but it is sure not a "Fantasy", that was really a Lame reply... Thanks for making a new comer feel Welcome...

Attached Files:

14. Texas John

Texas John Collector of oddments

It looks like a private issue based on the Ike dollar.

What does the other side look like?

15. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

One thread is enough!

16. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

I think it one the Franklin Mint made?

17. ZombieHuntClub

ZombieHuntClub Prepared

Dont know what it is but I do know what it isnt.

18. proofartoncircs

proofartoncircs Junior Member

First let m say Welcome to the boards.
    Second Thanks for displaying an interesting itemh.
    Third Sorry if the truth hurts, but that is not a coin (money). I think fantasy (being of original design and no denomination given is a more apt word than fake. I compliment the artist on getting the shield of the US correct (7 white stripes instead of 7 red stripes).

19. nccoop

nccoop New Member

Thank-you. It doesn't bother me that it is not a coin, I was just curious if anyone had seen one or who may have minted it...

20. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

Probably the same idiots who make the fake gold buffalo clads. :D

21. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Does it have a Franklin Mint mintmark?

Draft saved Draft deleted