D-Day, What ya' think, is the Dollar Gonna Fall or Not?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by fretboard, Sep 23, 2016.

1. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

They've been saying that for the past few years. The dollar is getting weaker so a collapse is possible & likely eventually. I guess we'll find out in November

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

For the last FEW YEARS? Try the last two decades or more. They're no different from used car salesmen on TV.

Chris

19Lyds and Sallent like this.
  5. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

Trying to not be so dramatic, but you're right. Probably 4 or 5 decades, but who's counting

Sallent likes this.
  6. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

This garbage isn't even worth commenting on. People who believe it are too stupid to be argued with.

serafino, Paul M. and Sallent like this.
  7. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

If you actually went to that site, you might check your security for safety.

Sallent and Santinidollar like this.
  8. Santinidollar

Good idea!

9. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Everybody would love to know in advance, but the truth is, nobody knows for certain. All of the experts, and "insiders", and graphs and pie charts and astrology buffs all take one. Big. Guess. And it seems like one guess is as good as anyone elses. From Yellen's own mouth, to expect at least 4 rate hikes this year. We've had none. After the announcement the other day, it took about 2 whole minutes for some "expert" to come on the radio and say " see?, I knew it all along, so probably we will see a rate hike in December, and our analysis says there will most likely be 2 rate hikes in 2017." Where did he get that from??!! He just pulled the number 2 out of thin air, and boldy proclaimed it as hard evidence. Lol. Nobody knows.
    Wish I did though.

10. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Ask yourself, why do the people who tell you "buy gold, buy silver, buy survival kits, etc." because the Dollar is going to collapse and be worthless, demand that you pay them in US Dollars for the products they are pedling?

Surely if they thought the Dollar was in danger of imminent collapse they'd want payment in something other than Dollars.

11. Santinidollar

Duhhhhhhhhhh -- and AMEN!:D

Sallent likes this.
  12. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

One of the tactics I've seen these people use to lie to the public is through lectures on how the Roman Empire 's devaluation of the denarius led to the collapse of the state, and try to link it to the US leaving the silver standard in 1964 as proof of imminent collapse.

One problem though, I'm an ancient numismatists, and I can tell you for a fact that the Roman Empire lasted for 213 years after the denarius/double denarius became essentially fiat currency (and nearly 1,200 years more if you count the Byzantine Empire which relied mostly on devalued bronze and billon coinage). Not to mention the fact that the Empire was much stronger 50 years after devaluation than it had been 5 decades prior when the coinage still had silver but the Empire was breaking up into pieces.

Not to even mention that China thrived for 2,200 years on nothing but fiat currency, and plenty of other ancient and medieval kingdoms and empires lasted hundreds of years on nothing but fiat currency.

It's hard to sucker people that know history and ancient/medieval numismatists with that snake oil pitch when our books and coin collections contradict the garbage being pumped out by these so called "experts".

Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
  13. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Well if the scenario is going to repeat, I guess we can expect another 'alternate money', Bitcoin Redux here it comes. Paper, bullion worthless, only bits in the ether are profitable.

Actually, an Option play with gold ( maybe GDX) far out of money might be good if the dollar stands. Was on the border today, Mex. Peso @ 19/USD ( mas or menos).

14. Santinidollar

Agora Financial has been churning out conspiritorial nonsense about elitist currency schemes for years.

15. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Funny, this is the first I've heard about it. icon_mrgreen.gif Guess I live a sheltered life. thumbupp.gif

16. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

My crystal ball is currently away for a scheduled maintenance check. Will get it back on September 28, and answer the question then. :cool:

Christian

SuperDave likes this.
  17. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

And we wonder why people buy from television coin hucksters. Well, here's your answer.

18. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I've always thought Einstein said it best -

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

And there is another quote that goes right along with it, only this one was made 2,000 years ago -

"People will only believe what they want to believe." - Julius Caesar.

Point being, it's nothing new. People have been "stupid" for as long as there have been people !

ToppCatt likes this.
  19. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

20. David Setree Rare Coins

David Setree Rare Coins Well-Known Member

At 4:00 PM Eastern time on Sept 30th 2016 there is to be created a competing new world currency. Whether it affects the position of the USD as the reserve currency of the entire world or even if it will survive; make up your own mind after studying the evidence.

Will the dollar collapse and become worth zero? Absolutely. I have no doubt whatsoever. My reasoning is that in the history of human kind, there has never been a fiat currency survive. Never. Ever.

I see no evidence that this one will be any different.

The timing? I have no idea. 5 days? 5 months? 5 years? 50 years?

longarm likes this.
  21. lehmansterms

lehmansterms Many view intelligence as a hideous deformity

100% unadulterated snake oil. If you're of a mind to buy, I'm sure they have plenty to sell you - but you must act right now!

Draft saved Draft deleted