D/D buffalo nickel .

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Barber dime 94s, May 29, 2015.

1. Barber dime 94s

Barber dime 94s Active Member

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Hey folks
    So about a week ago I post a photo of a 1938d buffalo nickel I had purchased on eBay. It arrived this morning , first thing I looked at was the mint mark . I was hoping to find a D/S instead it was a D/D mint mark. Only thing that concerns me about this coin is the grade. It was listed as uncirculated , it could be as I'm no good with buffalo nickels. The coin has this goldish tone in hand , not really showing up in the photos. After checking for wear on the high spots I can't see any . Comparing it to my MS64 nickel it seems this coins luster is impaired a bit in spots or it could be this goldish tone that's throwing me off. So what do you guys think on grade and does this D/D help the value ?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

to me:

Not an unc

also, the D/D's are common on these

4. Barber dime 94s

Seems there uncommon enough that pcgs has the value 30-40 percent higher than regular 38d in AU and up, even more in the lower grades.. Past eBay auctions are saying about the same !

5. Barber dime 94s

image.jpg image.jpg Here is a couple photos that are a bit more acurate as to the color of the coin.

6. justafarmer

justafarmer Senior Member

Most on here are better at photograde than me but I'll go out on a limb - it looks unc to me - 62/63.

Barber dime 94s likes this.
  7. Barber dime 94s

I was thinking maybe ms61 possibly 62. It's tough for me to get a decent photo that will do the coin justice..
    The coin has a nice goldish tone that I really like , for some reason I couldn't get it to show up in the first photos. I would guess lighting has something to do with it , almost every light in my house is flouresent .

Draft saved Draft deleted