D. Carr's 1916 Barber Half Dollar Over Strike - Final Die State?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by robec, May 22, 2016.

1. robec

robec Junior Member

260 examples of high grade Barber overstrikes were minted by D. Carr and his Moonlight Mint.

I actually ordered one a year ago today, but I never really inspected it until last night. I noticed the reverse had several die cracks, but didn't know if it was by design or if the die was actually breaking up.

I went to the Moonlight Mint site and found this bit of information about a couple of late die states.

[​IMG]

Mine appears to have not only the crack from the final die state, but a couple others that have extended from the original cracks.

I'd be interested to see if any one has this or even later die states of this overstrike.

[​IMG]

dwhiz and Skyman like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Silverhouse

Silverhouse Well-Known Member

I'll have to look, but i have an example of this type. I bought 2, and both had die cracks. The second I sent to my brother as a gift.

4. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

You'd have to ask him for a definitive response, but I don't think the die cracks are by design. They're probably a result of the high striking pressure needed to mostly obliterate the original design.

5. robec

robec Junior Member

After reading his description in the first photo I pretty much knew it wasn't by design. I was curious as to how many were struck before the first cracks started appearing and how the final few pieces may have looked.

These were from Die Pair 1.

Paul M. likes this.
  6. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Counterfeit dies can have die states too??? :smuggrin::D

Couldn't resist

7. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

And so it begins... see you 25 pages from now. :p

Rassi, green18, Cascade and 2 others like this.
  8. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Exxxxxactly

Paul M. likes this.
  9. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Interesting. It's something only @dcarr can answer I suppose. My barber is the proof version I believe but now I wanna check it for cracks o_O

10. Silverhouse

Silverhouse Well-Known Member

I don't think die cracks appear on any other of the Barber's he's done. I have an example of each Barber over strike he minted and the first one is the only one with die cracks.

11. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Mine has it as well though the horizontal crack isn't as strong as the one in your picture.

12. COCollector

COCollector Well-Known Member

I didn't notice die cracks in mine (Die 2). But I wasn't looking for any...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Maybe that's a crack below the last A in America? The coin is in my safe deposit box, so can't examine it closely.

joecoincollect likes this.
  13. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Arrrrrrggggghhhhhhhhh

Paul M., joecoincollect and robec like this.
  14. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

So.........o_O
    How much above melt do these ones cost?:eek:

15. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

I didn't buy any of the Barbers so its out of my scope, but Carr has to make a profit and he does really good work as well. Check out his website. thumbsup.gif

http://www.dc-coin.com/search.aspx?find=1916+barber

16. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

They're beauts no doubt. I checked ebay and I think they were 100-200 somewhere. I didn't see any PL or proof ones

17. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Seems he's really pumping these things out , he must have a coin going for every year a coin ended or any year they didn't mint a coin . Seems he's starting to flood the market , I wonder how long before the Chinese step in and copy the copies . He's gotta make a dollar all right .

18. dcarr

dcarr Mint-Master

The die cracks were not intentional. Only the first die par has the cracks (and that is one of the reasons why a second die pair was made). The one shown in the second picture of the first post in this thread is the last die state. I retired the die before it cracked any further than that.

19. dcarr

dcarr Mint-Master

I'm working on a fantasy-date over-strike type set.

As for "pumping" them out / "flooding" the market ...
    Not really. While there are several different dates, denominations, and varieties, most have a mintage less than about 500. If the market was "flooded", the market prices would reflect that.

Paul M. likes this.
  20. dcarr

dcarr Mint-Master

21. treylxapi47

treylxapi47 Well-Known Member Dealer

Sooooooooo when are we going to get some cool seated Liberty overstrike quarters? I NEED that in my life

Draft saved Draft deleted