Cycling threw vending machines?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by ms333, Jul 2, 2012.

1. ms333

ms333 Member

I'm going to a place tomorrow that has a vending machine that accepts dollar coins. If I bring for example a John Tyler presidential dollar coin, could I cycle threw and get another dollar coin like a Abraham Lincoln presidential dollar coin or Susan B. Anthony dollar coin? Thanks.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ska69

ska69 Member

I was stuck in a waiting room with a Coke machine that accepted dollar coins a few months back and I was able to cycle through dollar coins by dropping in one and hitting the coin return. It depends on the machine though. Start with a single dollar coin, that way if it doesn't work you don't waste too much money. I'm not sure if your location is close by to a subway, but Susan B. Anthony dollars are very common in subway change machines. I put a $20 in the change machine every time I ride the subway and I usually get at least one or two S.B.A. dollars, mostly 1979P.

4. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

When the mule SBA's started to show up years ago, I went to the post office every few days and stuck in a twenty dollar bill to buy a stamp or two. It was fun.

5. ms333

ms333 Member

Should I put 2 bucks in and see what comes out or will it be my same 2 bills?

6. Gipper1985

Gipper1985 Junior Member

It has been my experience that every machine is different. You just have to put your money in and see what happens. I stopped doing this after I lost a couple of half dollars in machines that did not recognize them.

7. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Threw is the past tense of throw

The words threw and through can sound the same when spoken. However, the words have two completely different meanings. ;)

BTW, I agree with Gipper1985.

8. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

"Thru" is informal use of through I think.

9. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

I read the title and thought, "Oh wow - how did riding your bicycle cause you to throw vending machines? Is this a new workout program?" :D

10. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

Exactly what I though! I was thinking- I gotta see this!

11. ms333

ms333 Member

I decided not to put money in. I found 10 bucks in the pool where I went.:D

12. clorox

clorox Member

Most of the vending machines I've encountered will only hold one bill in the validator. So if you put one in and hit the return button the same bill will come back out. But if you put two in you get the second one back and coins for the first. If no available items are priced over $1 then many machines won't take more than one bill.

13. Cazkaboom

Cazkaboom One for all, all for me.

I used to always play the "quarters" Game. Sometimes do it when I am bored somewhere.

14. ArthurK11

ArthurK11 Active Member

I've never done this but I'm wondering what kind of looks you get from the other people in the waiting room or where ever you are just standing at the vending machine for 5 minutes putting coins in and hitting the coin return button over and over lol

15. softmentor

softmentor Well-Known Member

I'm just curious, why go to all that trouble? I just get rolls at the bank. Around here they are all too delighted to get rid of them. Even if I request circulated rather than new they are glad to help me.

Draft saved Draft deleted