Cutout Morgan Dollar

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by TheFinn, Jan 31, 2018.

1. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

1883 Morgan $ Cutout.jpg Morgan cutout 3.jpg Here is a picture and a scan of an 1883 Morgan Dollar I purchased at a local coin show last Saturday. I have never seen one so well done. They even cut around "In God We Trust", which is no easy feat. Then, when this wasn't enough, the rim, wreath, arrows and motto were gilted. Best $25 I've ever spent. Even turned down $100 in trade for it and am not even tempted for double that in cash. More incredible in-hand. A true craftsman with a saw.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

That does look like they did an amazing job

4. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

That is pretty dang good! I'd say it was something that a jeweler was using as a project to hone his skills.

5. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

That's amazing. Thanks for sharing!

6. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

More so laser cut than by hand....

7. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

I'd drop $25 on a specimen like that without even thinking twice. Nice!

8. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

That is a really cool purchase! It made me think of a brooch that was my Grandmother's that now resides with my youngest daughter. :)
    20120414_MeMe_opt.jpg

9. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Memo to self: Post the 1921(!) Saint cutout I have a picture of tonight.

baseball21, Cascade and Dougmeister like this.
  10. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Great looking piece. I remember watching someone cutting a Mercury Dime when I was a kid. Couldn't believe the what the guy could do with a hand scroll saw. I was a little disappointed reading the post that it might be laser cut (like learning there is no Santa Claus or professional wrestling wasn't real), but I guess it makes sense. I still think it's a wonderful purchase

11. TheFinn

He had it listed for $29 and asked what I'd pay for it. I didn't want to say $100, so I said $25. He said that was more than fair, so I shot back and said, ok, $20. He chuckled. He's a good friend.

Dougmeister likes this.
  12. TheFinn

Laser cutting silver is the hardest thing in the world to do. I worked with a guy that repaired the lasers, and he said that they have silver-plated mirrors, since silver is the most reflective metal in the world. To cut silver they have to use copper-plated mirrors. They can't cut metal that is too thick because it transfers heat so well it will warp and melt whatever they are cutting. That's why I don't think it was cut with a laser. You can also see the blade marks when you loupe it at an angle.

George McClellan likes this.
  13. TheFinn

Amazing. Lasers don't leave blade marks.

14. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Seems like you forgot ;)

15. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

That is correct. Here it is.
    21saint.jpg

TheFinn, Dougmeister and Nathan401 like this.
  16. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Each example posted to this thread is impressive as well as requires abilities I could only dream of, but this one is exceptionally so. Very, very cool...

17. TheFinn

Wow! Want to trade?

18. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

19. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

Most people dont have the aptitude to work with small tools & small materials. Unless ofcourse you know how to play on a computer and have a machine do the work for you :troll:

Draft saved Draft deleted