Customs police seize $900,000 in counterfeit money — all in $1 bills

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Dougmeister, Jan 31, 2020.

1. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

No no no - check eBay, I am pretty sure those are the "practice" bills Chinese banks use. They don't show the whole thing because if you see the whole thing, it's got Chinese writing on it and is pretty easy to determine it's fake. Look at the top right - see the line dashes running at the top right corner of the bill?

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

George McClellan likes this.
  4. Hookman

Actually, I do see those line dashes in that photo.

WOW !!

Is our own government playing a game on us??

If so, it wouldn't be the first time.

5. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

Excellent catch.

I don't think the government is purposefully trying to deceive us here (and believe me, I love a good conspiracy theory!). I think it's either poor reporting (which there is an abundance of nowadays), overzealous border patrol agents exaggerating the extent of their "bust", or counterfeiters getting lazy and thinking "What the heck! I'll try to use some of these!"

Edit: in their defense, Customs and Border Protection officers may not know what @MEC2 saw and pointed out to us, whereas the Secret Service deals with that sort of thing all the time.

Hookman likes this.
  6. UncleScroge

UncleScroge Well-Known Member

EDITED

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2020
    Hookman likes this.
  7. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

That post will be gone in 3...2...1

Hookman likes this.
  8. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Note date on photo, and date of article.

Hookman likes this.
  9. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

More likely the reporter just pulled up a stock photo of a bundle of $1 and didn't even notice the lines on the corner.

Dougmeister and Hookman like this.
  10. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

as mentioned in post 22
    Equador actually is on the US Dollar as their currency evn since in 2000 the accepted it as their currency imploded and everyone including the gov't swapped over to the US Dollar.

They accept and have a 1:1 on Us Dollar to their currency.
    Oddly, they use our Dollar coins probably more than we do.
    https://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/world/americas/article138837363.html
    Thus they get a lot of fake bills being produced in that region.

There is a TON of articles about this going back years.
    such as
    https://www.cnbc.com/2015/03/24/us-customs-seizes-65k-in-fake-100-dollar-bills.html
    https://www.insightcrime.org/news/brief/peruvian-police-seize-counterfeit-dollars-bound-for-ecuador/
    https://latinamericacurrentevents.c...-s-bills-continue-to-flow-in-from-peru/34457/

George McClellan and Hookman like this.
  11. kaparthy

kaparthy Well-Known Member

For paper money, the proper terms are "face" and "back." We do not use the coiner's terms "obverse" and "reverse." (Just sayin' because I had to stop and ask another journalist when writing an article about paper money.)

Dougmeister and Hookman like this.
  12. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Obverse and its opposite, reverse, refer to the two flat faces of coins and some other two-sided objects, including paper money, flags, seals, medals, drawings, old master prints and other works of art, and printed fabrics.

Hookman likes this.
  13. lettow

lettow Senior Member

In 30 years of collecting I have only heard obverse and reverse relative to paper money from coin dealers and collectors. Those that live in the world of paper use face and back.

Hookman likes this.
  14. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Since they mean the exact same thing, it's just semantics.
    You want to call it face and back, fine and dandy.

Hookman and NOS like this.
  15. Beardigger

Beardigger Well-Known Member

If they were smart. They would just send everybody in the US a counterfeit bill in the mail. I bet that would get them in circulation fast.

Hookman likes this.
  16. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

100% agree. And after reading thousands and thousands of auction descriptions of paper money, I’ve never seen the words obverse or mint used in the description. Just not part of the paper money vernacular.

Hookman likes this.
  17. Hookman

Darn !! And just when I thought I was getting Coin Talk !! down, now I've gotta learn Paper Talk !!

18. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

Yep, it’s the same thing as being aboard a boat or ship...Port/Left, Starboard/Right, Below Deck/Downstairs etc.

UncleScroge and Hookman like this.
  19. George McClellan

George McClellan Active Member

"Front" and "back" on Banknote Museum

20. CaptHenway

CaptHenway Survivor

Cattywhumpus and Widdershins!!!
    :dead:

Draft saved Draft deleted