Customs police seize $900,000 in counterfeit money — all in $1 bills

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Dougmeister, Jan 31, 2020.

1. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

That's the way to do it.

xCoin-Hoarder'92x likes this.
  4. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

I'd like to know how much it cost them to make those fake bills... they can't be cheap enough to even make that worthwhile, can they?

5. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Even 75 cents on the dollar would be reason enough.

imrich and xCoin-Hoarder'92x like this.
  6. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Once they've got the tooling and process developed, I'd be surprised if they can't make them for less than 5 cents each. These are parasites, and need to be dealt with most severely.

Santinidollar and midas1 like this.
  7. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

Well, it's likely backed by the Chinese government, sooo...what does it matter really? They'll just try it again. Interesting they tried to get it in through International Falls Port of Entry in Minnesota!!! So it came through Canader??? :smuggrin::jawdrop:

xCoin-Hoarder'92x and Hookman like this.
  8. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

Smugglers such as these try to use "off the beaten path" ports of entry in order to try to evade scrutiny. Luckily for America, and us, the citizens of America, our Good Guys are doing their job very well.
    This is similar to Jihadists coming in through the Canada or Mexico border rather than the LA or NY airport.
    Also similar to illegal aliens coming in on smaller boats at small seaports rather than large ships at large seaports.
    As you can imagine, the purpose is to avoid the attention they would receive at larger, and better manned, ports of entry.

Thankfully, it doesn't work that easily, but obviously, entry into Canada is easier than entry into the U.S..

9. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

My single biggest concern here is not the port of entry, but the lesser denomination of the counterfeits employed. This speaks to the diabolical mind of the offender, who knows that being a little less brazen, less greedy and a lot more clever increases the odds of success.

There's only one other thing he / she could have done to evade detection - practically guaranteed - and I'm not divulging that detail.

10. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

When I was 16, my father was in the U.S. Army, stationed in France. I don't know how the French government handles immigrants now, but in 1965, I had to be registered for their "draft". I was even sent a notice to register. I loved to explore in France, and during one "expedition", I was stopped by a policeman (I don't know how to spell "jarmdarn") and I had to provide identification as well as my purpose for being in France. Luckily, Army dependents are issued identification.
    Anyway, even in 1965, law enforcement were vigilant of people that didn't "look" right and could stop and almost threaten young men. There were several instances when U.S. military dependents were detained until they could be in the country illegally. Anyone know what they do now with all the influx of citizens of other country immigrants? With so many immigrants going to or through, are they still as vigilant as they were in 1965?

11. Neal

Neal Well-Known Member

I'm guessing the $900,000 is not the whole shipment, the first shipment, or the last shipment. The low denominations are advantageous to counterfeiters because they are still quite profitable, especially in high volume, and yet receive far less scrutiny when spent.

Hookman and -jeffB like this.
  12. juris klavins

juris klavins Well-Known Member

$1 bills are the logical choice now - $5 and up are full of security features that are much more difficult to fake - currency printed before 1996 (small portraits) are also easier to counterfeit, but they stand out in everyday use today, so are likely to be scrutinized more closely

Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
    Hookman likes this.
  13. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

if the quality is only decent enough who would take the time to put a $1 bill
    through any real scrutiny, For that reason alone you would have an excellent
    chance of getting them through.

Hookman likes this.
  14. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

How about a photo of an example so we know what to look for?

15. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

This is the photo circulating with the news article. I’m not sure if it’s actual or a stock photo.

73247F1F-B11F-484D-A444-89EE2AC224BA.jpeg

16. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Yes I saw that. I was hoping for a full obverse.

NOS and Hookman like this.
  17. CaptHenway

CaptHenway Survivor

Notice that the serial number appears to be an eleven-character format, as used on larger bills, rather than the ten-character format used on $1's and $2'1. I suspect that the counterfeiter just used the numbering equipment he uses when he counterfeits larger bills.

18. Hookman

I would think that the fake bills look very real, just like our own real bills.
    I can't prove it, but I would bet that the Chinese government is heavily involved in the manufacture of these counterfeit bills.

What better way to destabilize another nation's economy than to flood that nation with counterfeit currency.

I don't know if you're aware of this but the U.S. did this very thing,to an extent, to the Germans and Japanese, and all of the countries that the Axis powers had invaded.

An easy to see example of such war time money machinations would be the Hawaii notes and the yellow sealed North Africa notes.
    Both designed to be easily recognizable in the event the war didn't go our way in those two areas.

Though it's not as openly discussed as it could be, make no mistake about it, we are in a trade war with China.

19. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

How many American strippers are going to go hungry now? A national tragedy.

LakeEffect, Mike185 and Hookman like this.
  20. lettow

lettow Senior Member

The US did not counterfeit either German or Japanese money during WWII. Certain types of Japanese Military notes were counterfeited for use by intelligence operatives but the amounts were not large enough to have any significant effect on the economy.

21. Hookman

As you might notice in my post, I said "to an extent". You and I will never know exactly to what extent, but be sure it was done.

Here is a link you can read, if you choose. It is very long and discusses many types of counterfeiting, including money counterfeiting, that the U.S. did during WW II.

I tried to copy the pertinent parts so you wouldn't have to read it all, but the entire thing, including photographs, is copyright protected and won't allow any kind of copying, including "cut and paste".

This is the first "page" that came up when I googled for U.S. counterfeiting foreign money.
    I'm sure there is much more to be found. No offense, but I'm not going to do your homework for you. If you are determined to prove me wrong, then please search for yourself.

Here is the link to the very first "hit" that came up. This site does mention intelligence operations, but it also mentions economic damages, with both being the intent of the counterfeiting. Remember, this site is very, very long.

WWIIAlliedBanknotes.html

imrich likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted