Cusp clash double print?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by cabbage, Feb 10, 2016.

1. cabbage

cabbage New Member

Hey guys, I've been lurking around here for a while now and finally found something worth posting about I think. It's a 1989 Philly penny that seems like it was struck funny. The "IN GOD" has a negative doubling around the top edge. And the back has a mark the looks like the planchet was cracked, but it's only on the back, or the die was cracked when the back was pressed. I'll try and get some pics uploaded but I was curious if anyone had some clue as to what could have happened. Thank you all!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Hi, @cabbage , welcome to the neighborhood.

Without good close-up photos we would only be guessing, like trying to throw darts at the moon.

Chris

4. cabbage

cabbage New Member

This is the best I could do for now. There are marks on the back letters as well. The "o" ine ONE has a triple strike at the bottom of it.

Attached Files:

5. cabbage

cabbage New Member

Thanks! And I just uploaded the best I can do for now. Let me see if my GoPro can take better macro pics

6. cpm9ball

Yep, those photos are too small. Does your camera have a Super Macro function?

Chris

7. cabbage

cabbage New Member

This is the best I was able to get. It doesn't show everything, but it definitely looks like the die broke while it was striking the coin.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. cpm9ball

@cabbage

I'm not sure what happened on the obverse because the lighting and angle of the photo could be better. You should try to have at least two light sources - one at 10 o'clock and one at 2 o'clock at about a 45 degree angle to the coin - and you should take the photo from directly overhead.

It looks like it is a die crack on the reverse. They are pretty common on Lincoln cents because the dies take quite a beating producing tens of thousands of coins. Yours is interesting, though, because it is running along the perimeter. Like radial die cracks, you don't see this a lot.

Chris

9. cabbage

cabbage New Member

10. cabbage

cabbage New Member

I'll try again with multiple
    Light sources. I took my magnifier apart to take these pics. Finally a reason to get a good desk top one!

11. cabbage

cabbage New Member

This should be a little better I think. And thank you for all the insight, I really appreciate it. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

12. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

looks to me like you have a die crack from the "T" to the building corner, very common, everything else on both sides looks like die deterioration...

13. cabbage

cabbage New Member

From what I can tell. There are marks or extra presses? On a lot of the letters on the reverse of the coin. The N in United has it on the opposite side of the doubling in the ONE CENT. And the crack line, I'm almost sure that's what it is now, runs under the T in United and not about it. Also the I in Liberty has a negative impression on the L side. There's a few more but those are the most pronounced to me.

14. cabbage

cabbage New Member

There appears to also be a crack line on the E in one. And the bottom of the O has a large part that look like another O that dropped down. Sorry, it's really hard to take pictures with what I have

15. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

16. cabbage

cabbage New Member

The Extra O piece has an interior and exterior edge to it. Is that notmal for such wear and tear on a die? And that's an awesome site, I'm sure I'll spend plenty of time on there now.

17. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I am seeing die erosion around the rim on the obverse and reverse.

The extra image you see around the letters is a plating issue.

Both of these are extremely common, and not worth a premium. Your cent is worth a penny.

18. cabbage

cabbage New Member

I wasn't really concerned with how much it was worth but more how it was caused. I've never seen anything quite like it honestly. Thank you for the reply though :)

Draft saved Draft deleted